Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, looking for some advice. I have a Smarty S06 and Quadzilla Xzillaraider (DXZCR2R) “race box” and am considering running them stacked on my daily driver. I like the S06 for fueling and tire calibration, Quad for on-the-fly power and higher boost. I have read a few posts on this topic already, but still looking for some input. Here is the set-up I was thinking;

S06- SW#2, stock rail pressure, stock timing, stock torque (I figured this basically makes the S06 a fuel only tune??)

Quad- Run at level 1 for timing and mpg, turn it up when needed :party018:

I ran this set-up around town and liked the performance and added boost compared to the S06 only, but I don’t want to cause problems. What do you guys think and does anyone have experience with this stack? Is this a “safer” option than running higher RP and timing 24/7 on the S06 alone? Also, anyone having rough idle with this stack when stopped and in gear?

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Interested in this as well, as I will be getting a Smarty around the first of the year.

·
Registered
795 Posts
There is a guy on here that fried his motor not long after stacking the smarty and quad

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
There is a guy on here that fried his motor not long after stacking the smarty and quad
If thats the case, then I'll be saying bye-bye to the quadzilla.

·
Master of Mayhem NASFIG
8,806 Posts
went thru 3 sets of in jectors and a motor running quad. wouldnt touch any of their pos stuff. had a box on my 98.5 that didnt work and even took it to their factory and they couldnt get it to work.

·
Registered
795 Posts
That can happen with nearly every mod out there. Obviously several factors apply here. Do you know what setting he was running or other mods?
When you stack boxes, you are advancing the timing to unknown levels.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Haha, well put... but the TNT program is a bit much for my basically stock engine and transmission. I know that even S06 with the standard REVO is a bit much. I ran around with my Smarty turned up 24/7 as a daily driver and caused some issues (trans valve body and #3 injector). I had it turned up cus I don’t have the POD and don’t like the idea of a power stroke or duramax getting away from me on the on-ramp. I guess what I’m saying is that my goal is to run the Smarty turned down to SW#2 as a fuel tune with the Quad turned off so that I can switch it up on occasion. I just figured that my engine/trans will last longer by running it without advanced timing and rail pressure all the time, but I will still have the option to boogie when needed... does that make since?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I rum my Smarty on SW7 TM3 Waste gate off rest default, as my daily driver. Never lets out a puff of smoke unless I get into it fast. Then when the time comes you just roll into the throttle and smoke who is next to you. SW7 is about all the stock turbo can seem to handle IMO. I can keep my EGTs in check with it there but not on 9. Have not tried the new download.

Oh I see you have 90s on there now. Damn is that with a stock turbo? You could try SW3 TM3 and wastegate off see how it likes that. I am another that is not in favor of stacking tuners. You can make more power than that stock turbo can deal with in one tuner why stack them and complicate things even more...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I rum my Smarty on SW7 TM3 Waste gate off rest default, as my daily driver. Never lets out a puff of smoke unless I get into it fast. Then when the time comes you just roll into the throttle and smoke who is next to you. SW7 is about all the stock turbo can seem to handle IMO. I can keep my EGTs in check with it there but not on 9. Have not tried the new download.

Oh I see you have 90s on there now. Damn is that with a stock turbo? You could try SW3 TM3 and wastegate off see how it likes that. I am another that is not in favor of stacking tuners. You can make more power than that stock turbo can deal with in one tuner why stack them and complicate things even more...
Yes, stock turbo $$. Runs pretty well and no turbo issues yet (knock on wood). 40k miles since injector install. I am hesitant with stacking also. Im looking for 2 things with this stack… overall engine/trans safety because I will be running a lower “fuel only” tune on the truck via the Smarty for daily driving… and 2) having the option of increased power on demand with the occasional addition of the Quad (clicking it up from stock to level 1 or 2)…

Also, is it safe to run my waste gate off via the Smarty with a stock turbo? What will that do? I never tried it because it says for “aftermarket” turbo only

·
Registered
795 Posts
If you feel like a smarty or other programmer will not give you the power, buy bigger injector tips and a turbo. Do not stack. There are too many horror stories.

·
World Champs!!!
24,232 Posts
That would be me...

Haha, well put... but the TNT program is a bit much for my basically stock engine and transmission.
Not true. The fact that you're running 90's on a stock turbo is more of a concern than running TNT IMO.

I will say that I stacked the Adrenaline, not the XZT. There was some issues with the Quad, mainly a lack of fully understanding what it changed I think. The two together run like a SOB, but I still can't recommend it.

The new TNT/R is all we need. Stacking is a thing of the past, the tuning is so good now that it simply isn't needed.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I ran that stack for over a year with no problems. I had the quad x2 though with the pressure only tune and it did make a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you feel like a smarty or other programmer will not give you the power, buy bigger injector tips and a turbo. Do not stack. There are too many horror stories.
I have injector nozzles already and not the $$ for a turbo and head studs. I already have the Quad and Smarty and just looking for advice on that combo

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That would be me...

Not true. The fact that you're running 90's on a stock turbo is more of a concern than running TNT IMO.

I will say that I stacked the Adrenaline, not the XZT. There was some issues with the Quad, mainly a lack of fully understanding what it changed I think. The two together run like a SOB, but I still can't recommend it.

The new TNT/R is all we need. Stacking is a thing of the past, the tuning is so good now that it simply isn't needed.
How were you running the stack (settings and SW#) when you blew up your engine? What failed?

·
Registered
795 Posts
The one thing i have learned about racing. Pay now, or pay a lot more later.

I have injector nozzles already and not the $$ for a turbo and head studs. I already have the Quad and Smarty and just looking for advice on that combo

·
World Champs!!!
24,232 Posts
How were you running the stack (settings and SW#) when you blew up your engine? What failed?
Settings at time of meltage....hmm I think I had both on mid-level settings. Smarty TNT SW5 and Adrenaline on 5. The Adrenaline was on the factory tuning (you can make two customized tunes also).

As for what failed: two pistons melted, #4 and #6. While I didn't get the injectors checked, I suspect they both either cracked the bodies or hung open. Either way, all 6 were replaced on rebuild.

My truck has never liked rail boxes. It hated the Dr. P race box I had, and hated the Quad Adrenaline even more.

·
World Champs!!!
24,232 Posts
Here's my advice. Go ahead and run the combo. BUT, if you're truck acts ANY different (runs a little rough, bucks, surges, pops, anything other than normal running Smarty), TAKE THE PRESSURE BOX OFF!!

I think my truck warned me. It popped, surged, and bucked with the Dr. P. So I took it off. Three or four months later, the opportunity to run the Adrenaline came up. I took the offer, because there was little to no info on that particular tuner. The truck bucked, surged, not so much popped out the exhaust that I remember. Then it settled in, ran stronger than it ever had before, and went into destruction mode.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.