Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a general rule I try to learn from other peoples painful mistakes. But now and again I make my own big fat mistakes and make it a point to take notes.:SMART:
Well, one of those painful mistakes happened the other day and thought I would share my learning experience with my fellow man (Ram owner).

I was in need of a yard of 3/4” rock for a retaining wall that I am constructing. Before last week I would have used my F250 that held many a scar from my projects. However I sold it last week since I now have a 3500 Ram.

So off to the rock place with my new truck (4500mi on it so far). I knew it was going to scratch it up a little, but it's a truck so no big deal. Well I get home with a 1 yd load of rock loaded up against the tail gate to minimize the distance I will have to shovel the rock.

It is all coming back to me now so if I make a spelling error it is because I am tearing up a little.:CRY:
I walked over and opened the tail gate knowing it was going to be a little heavy but I can bring it down with out too much of a slam, just like the F250.

Now is when I discover a small but potentially significant flaw with the Ram tailgate. When the tailgate opens the gap between the tailgate and the bed increases but the lower edge of the outside of the tail gate closes in on the flat area of the back of the bed and forms a very small gap.

As I was opening the tailgate the rocks started to fall down the gap and on to the ground, no big deal, but once I passed about 30degrees of opening the lower part of the gate trapped the rocks and bound up and there was no way I was going to be able to shut that thing with all that rock on it. So my tail gate with all the rock pushing against it was stopped by the lower outside edge of the tailgate causing damage. In fact, I had to empty the entire rear of the bed and then pick one by one each and every bound up rock while my wife held the gate up.:whyme:

In the end my rear center red light bar above the license plate disintegrated. The bottom edge of the tail gate is bent slightly (it could have been worse!), and I am missing paint in that area all over the place.
I also have about a shovel load of rock stuffed behind the plastic bumper cover/license plate and the steel bumper that I haven't figured out how to remove yet. To my relief the tail gate still shuts but not quite as easy as before.

The lesson learned! Place a heavy tarp over the tail gate gap area prior to filling the bed with incompressible matter.

BTW, my F250 had a cut out under the rear of the bed that acted as a relief to prevent this from happening. Maybe next time Chrysler!:spank:

·
Registered
854 Posts
that's what trailers are for, it's not a dump truck.

Reactions: jhungerford12

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
I have noticed the same issue on my 05.. Poor tailgate design IMHO...

Wait until you go to close it one day and something fell down in there and got trapped.. its a god-awful sound!

·
Registered
779 Posts
Sorry to hear that man, I'll keep note of this for the future.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Thats what I haul rock with the tailgate down... Sorry for you pain and suffering!

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Yep, been there done that ,except it was when i was hauling firewood and a small chunk of wood got stuck in there:doh:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts