Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm in the midst of planning some upgrades. I've been pokin' around quite a bit and I think I've mostly made up my mind but I have a couple questions and pricing.

Borg Warner turbo seems perfect for me. 63/68/.91 for t-4 manifold. I tow a little, sometimes light and sometimes heavy. Its mostly around town/hwy driving so I want it to be a fun streetable setup too. Quick spool, great power but low egt's also. All signs pointed to that it seemed.

Who has the best prices on those? Theboostlab has 728.00 listed online. ?
Also can they be gated or is that unnecessary on that setup?

Also who has the best deal on an affordable T-4 manifold? I don't want to do the 2nd gen style unless the package deal makes sense price wise. I'd rather just bolt up an 06 style aftermarket and not have to do all of the modifying.

When are head studs "needed"? Should I plan on studs with this project?

I don't plan on doing injectors yet but when I do I'll probably go 60-90s unless told otherwise.

Southbend SDD3600 is on the list also. Who sells them for the best price?

Let me know what you think and if I should also consider some alternatives.

:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,790 Posts
Bump.

Subscribing. I'm thinking of the same set up.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thoughts on billet wheels would be great too

·
Registered
14,542 Posts
No gate needed. Go with a cast wheel. Studs will be added insurance but not really necessary I would just over torque stock bolts to 120psi or so. 90s will do well with that charger. May want to plan a cp3 upgrade as well.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When is a waste gate needed? I kind of assumed that the billet wheel may either be unnecessary on this turbo or not even an option also. Good to know.

When are studs "needed" though? Its nice to know that they aren't required but I will add them at some point in the near future. I'm all about added piece of mind.

Are you suggesting to upgrade the cp3 when I do 90s or just with the turbo upgrade? I was under the impression this turbo setup could run on the stock cp3 but I could very well be wrong.

It seems that there are a couple different manifolds available. ATS and BD I think, along with the 2nd gen Steed speed.. I think those are the names. Which is the "better" that's available and why?
I'm the type that prefers to do something once and right the first time.

Anybody also know of who has the better pricing on these turbos?

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are BOVs still in or are they for the kids who rice race STI's and Evo's around? I've always thought one might sound pretty sweet on a big diesel especially having a 6 speed.

Is that an option for any turbo?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I run a BOV, and I had an STi before this too.

BOVs can be used on any setup, as long as you have metal cold side piping.

·
Registered
14,542 Posts
Rule of thumb is 50psi+ boost for studs. Many run more boost than that on bolts. I would do cp3 upgrade before or shortly after the 90s go in. Stock cp3 will do fine with stock injectors. Stainless diesel mani and no need for a BOV.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
S363/68/.91 T-4 will support 650hp
Stock Cp3 with good tuning will support 90's
ATS sells a 3rd gen T-4 manifold for ~$550
You buy a $60 adapter from DAP to convert the S300 exhaust outlet of the 63 to the HE351 exhaust elbow you have.

Gates are not needed when building a good setup. BOV's do nothing to prevent surging, only boost spikes on throttle let-off but some common sense can prevent that.

Studs are a good idea over 600hp but not necessary with some good judgement.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Are BOVs still in or are they for the kids who rice race STI's and Evo's around? I've always thought one might sound pretty sweet on a big diesel especially having a 6 speed.

Is that an option for any turbo?

Thoughts?
Billet wheels offer no performance advantage over a cast equivalent. Only reason to go billet is if you have surge issues, as with prolonged surging can fatigue a cast wheel.

Billet wheels of identical size vs cast will spool slower as billet is more dense than cast, thus heavier.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well that's a relief on the wallet. I thought for sure I'd have to put studs in right away when I swap the turbo.
Hopefully a dual cp3 or stroker and 90s can be shortly after though.

I did look at the Stainless diesel Manifolds and those seem nice. 750 a standard price for them?

I'm confused on manifolds I think.. Do all t-4s just bolt up or will I need the adapter for all or only some models to bolt up to the exhaust elbow? Isn't the adapter considered restrictive also? What are the options there.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Its not the manifold that you need a adapter for...the S300 turbos have a "Full-Marmon" flange and that wont bolt right up to your cast elbow, you need a adapter (that does not restrict anything) to mesh the S300-HE351.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had the billet wheel backwards. Thought they were lighter so they'd spool faster. Glad I was wrong.. because that's more money.. haha.

I think I'd definitely do some cp3 mods prior to installing new injectors so I can maximize that mod. My personal view point is there's no point in spending the money on bigger injectors unless I can utilize them to their full potential. Especially having efi live now.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Its not the manifold that you need a adapter for...the S300 turbos have a "Full-Marmon" flange and that wont bolt right up to your cast elbow, you need a adapter (that does not restrict anything) to mesh the S300-HE351.
Ahh.. gotcha. I just remember reading about an adapter but I think I just got mixed up. I think I was recalling the adapter for the t-3 setup.

Is there really a difference in manifolds? I see some that are 500,550.. ATS. Then there's the stainless that's 750.00 on their website. Are they worth the added cost? Or is a good t-4 manifold... a t-4 manifold. So long as its not made in Billy's garage or shipped from china. :hehe:

Thanks guys for the feedback btw :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Ahh.. gotcha. I just remember reading about an adapter but I think I just got mixed up. I think I was recalling the adapter for the t-3 setup.

Is there really a difference in manifolds? I see some that are 500,550.. ATS. Then there's the stainless that's 750.00 on their website. Are they worth the added cost? Or is a good t-4 manifold... a t-4 manifold. So long as its not made in Billy's garage or shipped from china. :hehe:

Thanks guys for the feedback btw :thumbsup:
Im running a ATS T-4 on my 900+hp Daily Driver....

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nice!

I saw some places online had an added charge for the .91 housing vs the .88. Do I just call them to make the request and any idea if they charge more also.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.