Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine has a 99 2500 and when it cranks it cranks super slow. When it finally cranks it seems to run ok. Not to long ago it had a LP problem and the truck was babied about 40 miles till we could stop to fix it. I guess what concerns me is cant quite figure if its a starter issue or an injection pump going out. Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Are you sure you aren't overlooking the obvious(batteries)? If it's cranking slow that's more than likely your problem. If not it could be the starter beginning to drag a little.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would have been good for me to mention, but we just put two optima red tops on it. I believe only about two weeks ago.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
It could be his alternator or starter like stated above. One of my buddies had a 7.3 stroke with slow cranking. Believe it or not, his alternator had died earlier but the truck kept starting due to him having 2 batteries. My bet is that the starter is going out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts