Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got a 2000 dodge with the 5.9 liter, it was out of fuel when i got it, put fuel in it, primed the whole system, got it running, but it only runs smooth with a battery charger on it, on high, turn headlights on, heater roll the window down it starts to miss, volt gauge goes all the way up to 18 after running fora bout 5 minutes, it will idle smooth but won't rev up, i'm guessing its probably going to be an alternator failure but would that stop it from revving up?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Don't take what I'll share with you as gospel. just trying to help. recently I was reading various posts on the forum and somebody was having a similar problem, It sounded like his problem turned out to be week batteries causing problems with the apps and possibly other computer related issues due to low voltage. hope this helps! Good luck

·
Cummins Fanatic
880 Posts
If I had to guess, I'd say either batteries or alternator, most likely the alternator. But Have your batteries load tested and go from there. There are so many components on these trucks that rely on the proper voltage and it probably would cause the truck to run like crap.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I had to guess, I'd say either batteries or alternator, most likely the alternator. But Have your batteries load tested and go from there. There are so many components on these trucks that rely on the proper voltage and it probably would cause the truck to run like crap.
i had the alternator tested today, it was only pushing 11 amps so i know thats junk, also, i have one optima red top battery thats almost new i know is good but i'm not sure about the one in the other side, the only code in the ecm is p1693, definetly looking like under charging issues but would this cause it to start hard and only idle smoothly above 14 volts?

·
Cummins Fanatic
880 Posts
Theres a little bit of a problem sometimes if you only replace one battery at a time. Found this out the hard way. The old battery will actually draw the new battery down, and they won't last as long. If I ever have a bad battery I always replace both of them at the same time if I can. I know I know, it gets a little costly...And the P1693 is a companion code. Its telling you that there is another code somewhere. Haha that don't help much.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Theres a little bit of a problem sometimes if you only replace one battery at a time. Found this out the hard way. The old battery will actually draw the new battery down, and they won't last as long. If I ever have a bad battery I always replace both of them at the same time if I can. I know I know, it gets a little costly...And the P1693 is a companion code. Its telling you that there is another code somewhere. Haha that don't help much.
i'm not too worried ab out costly, i bought the truck from a bank as a repo for 1000 bucks, its got a 5'' turbo back exhaust on it, all tires and glass was all good, it was out of fuel and i'm thinking its either going to need a lift pump, injector pump or both, i found a bad alternator and it looks like theres something messed up with the throttle valve cable, but with some money and a little TLC i'll get er goin

its a laramie too =D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts