Smokeycummer
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Barely goes up a hill like 30 mph ?

97 eclb 4x4 auto

·
Registered
52 Posts
is it revving normal? seems like just slipping?
goes through all the gears, if it does it in all gears the same, then ur torque converter is slipping, if it doesnt do it in reverse, may be forward drive gear, or maybe a band for one of the packs.

go through the gears and see when its doing it, that would be a good help.

Reactions: RamTruck

·
Smokeycummer
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it's revving normal , only seems to slip on hills , or when I step on it ?? Thought maybe adjust bands will help , just put a shift kit in from transgo , and have a diamond single disc to put in next week along with a new flexplate . Thanks for the quick response !

97 eclb 4x4 auto

·
Smokeycummer
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also can smell something like a burning smell , but fluid looks good and does not smell burnt ?

97 eclb 4x4 auto

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
If it is slipping when you step on it expect to put in a new set of clutches. The torque converter transmits the power. The transmission takes the power to the rear end. I would expect your transmission is worn out.

In the old days before torque converters became clutches we could go up hills without slowing down greatly. We absolutely could step on the foot feed without slipping anything. Most of the time when you get slippage the transmission needs to be rebuilt. Maybe you will luck out and have the band adjustment allow you to drive the truck more without putting real money into the truck. When you drop the pan look for a build up of crap in the pan. That build up would be what your clutches used to have on them.

You can buy a set of clutches for under $200 online. You can also buy more expensive red clutches and be a lot closer to $500. If you do end up rebuilding the transmission be sure to replace the aluminum planetary gearset with a steel one. That is only around $100.

·
Smokeycummer
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks did a band adjustment feels a lot better , but I think your right time to start saving . Thanks for your help !

97 eclb 4x4 auto

Reactions: RamTruck
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.