Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an 07 5.9 with a six spd and i put a triple dog programmer, k&N cold air intake and banks exhaust and if i put more that 50 horse to my truck with the programmer my clutch slips like crazy what can i do without spending the 1800 on a new clutch any ideas

· Registered
53 Posts
Sounds like it's time for a new clutch. Thats the only thing you can do unless you keep your foot out of it, and that's no fun.

· Premium Member
2,608 Posts
Depends how much power you want to add. There are plenty of Valiar and Southbend clutches that are meant to hold 500 RWHP for -+ $900. If you are going to race or add more power I would look into a DD(Dual disk) and upgraded hydros.

Reactions: Mitchapalooza

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys ive been doing a lil research on the valair and southbend clutchs and im wanting a to get up around 500 hourse maybe more and just drive it and take it to the strip occasionally plus it never hurts to be the big man on the line with the biggest fastest truck out there. i know south bend is high dollar but is valair more a bang for your buck and are they satisfying

· Premium Member
2,608 Posts
Yeah what I would do is if you have 450RWHP now, do the upgrade to 600-650hp that way you are not on the boarderline of HP ratings.

· Registered
24 Posts
i have an 01 24 valve and it its clutch was slipping like crazy. i just got a southbend rated at 450hp havent been able to get into it yet still need to break it in. i got my clutch for 700 and a installed for 450. n ot bad just hope it dosnt slip.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that sounds bout where id like to be i want to be able to tow and drive on a daily basis and be able to go in the mud and turn over some 37s with ease and not worry bout anything when i hit the pavement so something that wont glaze over while its under extremes wud be awsome

· Registered
24 Posts
I got mine at toxic diesel and i talked to fabian about it he said this clutch is good for towing and all around fun. I got 36s on my truck and its doing goos so far but still havent been able to get into i got 150 miles more of break in. ill let u know how it goes when its broke in.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
alright man keep me posted that sounds good cause im looking at going with bigger tires also ive got 35's now but id like to get up to 38's to 40's but i did come to learn that valair has alot of issues so im kinda steering away from them cause with a lil research they have alot of problems with the center sections giving out or bowling out and thats the last thing id like to go through on top of that they dont like to warranty they try everything to get out of replacing it for you so anyone who reads this do your research or some digging and just dont go for the thing that looks and has a good price

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
youre lucky ive done alot of research and ive spoke to valair personally and even the rep i spoke to said they are still trying to work the bugs out of there clutches but it wud b nice if they wud get them worked out cause there resonably priced and have some what of a reputation maybe theyll get there

· www.ATSdiesel.com
616 Posts
well your first problem is the K&N intake... might as well run without any filter cuz its just as bad... be prepared to buy a new turbo soon....

next problem, I had the same issues except I totally took out the stock one within hours... it wouldnt hold anything above stock and then started slipping in stock... HAHAHA.... the PMT is what I have on my 05 with the 6 spd... I ended up just ordering the southbend yesterday I should have it in a day or two... to fix your issues a nwe clutch is your only option... you wont be able to "cheap" fix the situation

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.