Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been experiencing this issue for 6 months to a year and its very hit and miss. I'll have the issue for a few weeks and then not experience it for some time.

Typically it would be under light throttle slowly accelerating between 1100 and 1600 RPM it would be very slight power loss. Accelerating, loss of power, accelerating, loss of power, accelerating, loss of power, typically three or four times in about a 2 second time period. Over the last day on my way back from Salt Lake it started occurring at higher throttle under cruising and light acceleration.

Recently I traveled to Salt Lake 4500ft elevation and 90-100* vs my normal home at sea level and significantly cooler temps (South of Seattle).

While in route there (SLC) I got a load of bad fuel and ended up replacing the fuel pump all the filters X2 and eventually the VP44 and TPS. Additionally, I ended up changing the fan clutch because the truck wasn't staying cool climbing hills which seemed to fix the issue.

Also while in SLC I had Quadzilla flash my Adrenaline and check it for issues, at the same time DAP sold me a new TPS. Thanks to both outfits.

Also, it feels like EGT are up a little maybe 50-100 from where I would think they should be.

So thoughts?

I'm probably going to change all the fuel lines this weekend, in case there is one collapsing and then will look at the injectors (DAP 50HP 7x 0.008 VCO) about 5 years ago and 70K miles.

·
Registered
19,547 Posts
How many miles on it? Pull codes with a scan tool instead of key? Check Fuel pressure. Sounds kind of like an injector if high miles. Have you ever changed the fuel filter?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Miles 285K
Fuel Filters have been changed several times during this time period and twice in the last 30 days due to the bad fuel.
Since replacing the VP and TSP no new codes when plugged in with a reader.
Injectors have roughly 70K on them. They are DAP 7x0.008 VCO (50hp)

·
Registered
19,547 Posts
Sounds like all that is good then. What were codes before repainting VP and TPS(apps) ? What brand apps did you buy?
Does your WTS light come on immediately every time you turn the key to ON?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
VP codes, can't remember which codes it threw when the VP started going out but i was having the hard start issue. TPS threw several shortly after replacing vp. Believe it was going out when i changed the VP and getting bounced around probably did it in. I bought the DAP brand name one...because i was at there shop. lol

Yes WTS comes on immediately every time.

·
Registered
19,547 Posts
DAP is not a brand of apps SoI have no ideal what the they sold you. Was it just like the old one or does it have a 3" pigtail on it? May sound strange but i want you to Clean all battery terminals to a perfect shiny metal to metal connection. Check cables for corrosion inside cable. Repalce any bad ends with new cables, Custom made is cheapest and best from commercial battery shop. Check the alt for AC output on the big post . Use a good voltmeter with a 2v scale AC. You are looking for under .03 to .05vAC.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The apps that they sold me was their own brand, however, the part number on the sensor I believe was the same as the Timbo I took off.

Not a strange thought, on the cables, grounds, and so on.

I believe my alternator was pushing some AC for a while, before I replaced it because I went through two ABS modules and a PCM, so I would not be surprised to find out my ECU has been damaged as well. But let's eliminate some things before we go down that road.

·
Registered
19,547 Posts
Try removing all added electronics, Do you know somebody with another HO that you can swap out ECM's with for a test?Do you have a fuel pressure gauge, is it holding steady above 10lb., You could cut the lineand put a 4 ft long piece of clear 5/16 clear line in it and look for air bubbles between the fuel filter and VP. This would teastfroducking leaks from the lift pump back if you ave on on the frame or block. No need if it is in the tank usually..

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, Bigfish,

Currently, I still need to:
-clean all battery cables and posts
-eliminate quadzilla (which I have done in the past and I believe issue continued)
-check for AC noise
-check fuel lines for degradation and or leaks (i like the clear fuel line idea)
The fuel system is an aftermarket kit, fresh fuel pump, and 20PSI however gauge does flutter at times when the issue occurs, however, I am not certain that's just my imagination. depending on engine load PSI is between 17-20.
-someone else also suggested potentially a speed sensor or crank sensor failing.

Other items Injectors and ECM. (i don't have a friend with an ECM I can borrow)

Did I miss anything?

·
Registered
19,547 Posts
If it is sucking air it oculd be where the lined join at the tank.

·
Registered
19,547 Posts
Fuel pressure variations above10lb do not matter unless there is air sucking in. No speed senspor related to running. NO Crank sensor on an 01, It does run off of the Cam sensor though and is possible.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So disconnected the Adrenaline last night and also found a wire that was pretty hot going from the battery to the relay for the fuel pump was pretty warm. Replaced that wire and running the truck today. No issues yet today, but it is cool and only a short drive. Also noticed the fuel pressure gauge isn't bouncing as much, curious if the fuel pump wasn't getting full power and or if it was getting power drops/shorts periodically.

·
Registered
19,547 Posts
Check the circuitry on that wire and make sure it is correct and not on all the time or closed all the time when it should not be. It should not be warm like that at all. What size is/was it, 16 or larger should be fine.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So i plugged the Adrenaline back in on about monday and i havnt had any problems yet (knock on wood). So i think the issue may have been the power wire from the battery to the relay going back to the fuel pump. Will be back if the issue comes back.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts