Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1999 dodge 2500 laramie SLT 5.9 extended cab auto 2wd 5th wheel hauler
96 Posts
Mine are single plumed.
... I was going popup truck camper for my wants and putting stuff, heavy stuff in a 6X10 enclosed trailer, so i would be very legal on the bed lbs.
... I still might go the TC rout, its just my custom order, turned into a crapshow.
I get it. Hope you can get something figured out

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nice story. Largely irrelevant to the OP's issue or question though.
Actually quite relevant. There is an issue at hand that needs solutions others have found to work. Rather than being a shmuck, perhaps if you have nothing relevant to add to the conversation, just shut up. Airbags will provide greater greater lift and squaring of the vehicle so he is not Bull dogging and losing weight on his drive wheels, and by adding dually, wheels will give him a wider more stable ride with increased weight capacity.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Actually quite relevant. There is an issue at hand that needs solutions others have found to work. Rather than being a shmuck, perhaps if you have nothing relevant to add to the conversation, just shut up. Airbags will provide greater greater lift and squaring of the vehicle so he is not Bull dogging and losing weight on his drive wheels, and by adding dually, wheels will give him a wider more stable ride with increased weight capacity.
Anyone who says a dually is a more stable ride makes me laugh yes the wheels are out further but thats not where the stability matters its all in the stiffness/position of the springs… the only benefit to duals is the extra load cap of having 2 more tires.

And to make a new coil sprung 2500 a dually would be a huge project having to make all the brackets for the dually axle plus you would have to make custom 4 link arms and brackets for the axle so the inner dual would clear….

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Well there's more to a dually that 2 extra wheels. Beefier leafs in the rear (apparently leafs at all lol) and typically longer wheel base since most of them are 8' beds, or mega cabs, or 4500/5500 trucks.. so in that sense yea having a dually adds stability no?

So short of the Long bed 3500 SRW, isn't a dually more stable? :D

·
Registered
11,542 Posts
Anyone who says a dually is a more stable ride makes me laugh yes the wheels are out further but thats not where the stability matters its all in the stiffness/position of the springs… the only benefit to duals is the extra load cap of having 2 more tires.

And to make a new coil sprung 2500 a dually would be a huge project having to make all the brackets for the dually axle plus you would have to make custom 4 link arms and brackets for the axle so the inner dual would clear….
Stand up and spread your legs a little. Have someone bump you from the side. You'll move a little. Now spread your legs and have that person bump you with the same force. Greatly reduced reaction.
The wider track does help enormously. South of Vegas on I-15 we encountered probably a 40+ sidewind. I was white knuckled with a regular cab and Northstar popup camper. This was with Thuren 2.5 Kings and a Hellwig swaybar. SRW trucks with hardsided campers with both long and short beds were in the right lane going 40 mph with their flashers on. I look in the mirror and a dually with a sizeable Lance goes whizzing by. It's a matter of physics. The wider track along with the 8' bed with less mass behind the axle is a winner for towing and carrying a large camper. it's a matter of physics not opinion.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Stand up and spread your legs a little. Have someone bump you from the side. You'll move a little. Now spread your legs and have that person bump you with the same force. Greatly reduced reaction.
The wider track does help enormously. South of Vegas on I-15 we encountered probably a 40+ sidewind. I was white knuckled with a regular cab and Northstar popup camper. This was with Thuren 2.5 Kings and a Hellwig swaybar. SRW trucks with hardsided campers with both long and short beds were in the right lane going 40 mph with their flashers on. I look in the mirror and a dually with a sizeable Lance goes whizzing by. It's a matter of physics. The wider track along with the 8' bed with less mass behind the axle is a winner for towing and carrying a large camper. it's a matter of physics not opinion.
Thats a terrible example due to the hight of COG on a human vs a truck with slide in camper, my old SRW feels just as stable as my dually… the springs (pivot point) are in the same location so the stability remains the same…

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Well there's more to a dually that 2 extra wheels. Beefier leafs in the rear (apparently leafs at all lol) and typically longer wheel base since most of them are 8' beds, or mega cabs, or 4500/5500 trucks.. so in that sense yea having a dually adds stability no?

So short of the Long bed 3500 SRW, isn't a dually more stable? :D
Tons of short bed duallys out there and they do not have beefier springs than the SRW 3500, a 2500 has no issue with the weight its the stability of the inboard coils thats the issue

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
Dude, you're as clueless as @lineman1234 who, after professing to know a bunch about putting a TC on a truck, just admitted, in writing that he plumbed up a literal bouncy house with his airbags...

Guys, it's ok, if you don't understand something, to stfu and learn a little. I don't go to the hospital and pretend to know more than the doctor, because I married a nurse....
Maybe take that advice quietly and sit back and learn a bit rather than being a try hard...

PS, I think you meant not losing weight on the STEERING axle, not the drives...but icbw...lol
PPS, yes I do realize you were trying to help the OP, however you are using an example of a totally different vehicle with totally different suspension system and totally different loading scenario. Therefore it is largely or even completely irrelevant to the original question. If you don’t understand why that is the case, then use the info provided here to help understand the differences. Because they’re literally night and day different.

Reactions: Bedlam

·
Registered
4,549 Posts

C'mon man, in my best Brandon voice....you're just blowing smoke up his skirt! He obviously knows how "simple" it would be to convert a coil truck to a dually with leafs....prolly done 6 of them this year in his back yard!
LOL

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
Thats a terrible example due to the hight of COG on a human vs a truck with slide in camper, my old SRW feels just as stable as my dually… the springs (pivot point) are in the same location so the stability remains the same…
To be fair to @Danderson, what he said has some validity and what you said, also does, however, given same load and spring rate, dually does have a wider base width once the dynamics of the springs are taken out of the equation, and greater W vs H = more stable. The actual answer is somewhere in between.

Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Tons of short bed duallys out there and they do not have beefier springs than the SRW 3500, a 2500 has no issue with the weight its the stability of the inboard coils thats the issue
I know there is a lot of short bed DRW's out there but they are Mega Cabs and thus still the long wheel base and that does help with stability. no? That was my point. While it may not be be the extra wheels exactly, its the rest of the config that comes with 3500 (or a long bed SRW 3500)

you sure about the 2500 vs 3500 leaf thing? I thought the 3500 had upper overloads or more leafs or something.

IDK anything about the coil setups... don't really care either :D

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I know there is a lot of short bed DRW's out there but they are Mega Cabs and thus still the long wheel base and that does help with stability. no? That was my point. While it may not be be the extra wheels exactly, its the rest of the config that comes with 3500 (or a long bed SRW 3500)

you sure about the 2500 vs 3500 leaf thing? I thought the 3500 had upper overloads or more leafs or something.

IDK anything about the coil setups... don't really care either :D
Lots of CC shorts aswell, overloads are usually an option not standard on 3500s there is merit to what you are saying about duallys my point was more his issue is the coil location its almost 10” in from where the leafs would sit so you are losing about 20 inches on the bottom width of your stability triangle which is pretty drastic
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
825 Posts
Given the same frame and suspension, a SRW and DRW will have the same stability until you get to the point of raising a wheel. Only at that point will a wider track be more stable. The sway you feel when carrying a top heavy load is the result of suspension geometry and capacity although a little can be contributed to tire sidewall flex for four tires verses two. Going to 19.5" on a SRW negates the difference in additional LT tires on the same axle.

·
Registered
11,542 Posts
Given the same frame and suspension, a SRW and DRW will have the same stability until you get to the point of raising a wheel. Only at that point will a wider track be more stable. The sway you feel when carrying a top heavy load is the result of suspension geometry and capacity although a little can be contributed to tire sidewall flex for four tires verses two. Going to 19.5" on a SRW negates the difference in additional LT tires on the same axle.
My buddy went to 19.5's on his '05 2500. It doesn't handle as well as a dually he sees on the road especially passing a truck or having one come at him from the opposite direction. Super singles on the back might be the next move.

·
Registered
23,421 Posts
Then its a spring issue not a tire issue
Except that you really should look at a tire as a series of springs, as seen from the side. Especially when balancing one, which is why road force balancing works so well.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts