Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have no idea what the Fiat engineers were thinking when they put coils springs in a cummins truck... Detroit figured out out it was a bad idea in the early '70's... trade in value of your truck should be really good.... I test drove a 2500 and ordered a 3500... very little difference in ride quality.... I know this is more than a bit harsh, but? Another idea would be a travel trailer, lots of 2500's tow them quite well.....

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have no idea what the Fiat engineers were thinking when they put coils springs in a cummins truck... Detroit figured out out it was a bad idea in the early '70's... trade in value of your truck should be really good.... I test drove a 2500 and ordered a 3500... very little difference in ride quality.... I know this is more than a bit harsh, but? Another idea would be a travel trailer, lots of 2500's tow them quite well.....
Yeah like what has been said you need big leaf springs on the back to help with the weight. Add air bags and a sway bar if needed. The guy who sold me my Lance TC told me if I didn’t have this suspension consider another truck that does. Thankfully my 2nd Gen does and I added air bags and a hellwig sway bar so my wife can drive it. It may be a cold day in hell when she actually does but hey.

·
P2609 Fanatic
6,182 Posts
Buy a 3500 problem solved.
^^^ A 3500 and NO factory air suspension. (y)
Actually any truck with leaf (not coil) springs would probably work.

BTW @Abuisse, what's the camper's wet weight?
With out knowing that number it would be pretty hard to pick a truck to put it on.
Thanks, and keep us posted.
-Ej- 🍺

P.S., Yeah I know... his post count is '1' so... :sneaky:

·
Registered
23,420 Posts
I have no idea what the Fiat engineers were thinking when they put coils springs in a cummins truck...
It was probably an effort to satisfy those who prefers a car-like ride.

Yeah like what has been said you need big leaf springs on the back to help with the weight.
It's not a matter of needing leaf springs. Most tractor trailers do very well with air springs, and large locomotives get around fine on coil springs. How those different suspension types are put to use is what matters.

Either way, a late model Ram 2500 isn't a good "foundation" for a camper, for a few reasons.

·
Registered
18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2020 ram 2500 with full factory air suspension. I bought a slide in camper and boy do I regret it. Truck wobbles side to side even driving on a straight road
What can i do to fix this problem?
I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 towed the 5th wheel fine but ruined the tires. (Tires is what wins races) Sorry I had to plagiarize that. I have since added "Air Lift 5000" Air Bags and changed to Dually rear wheels. The DRW conversion was in total $2000. Remember your suspension may be rated at 8K - 10K but your tires may only be rated at 2500lbs each.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 towed the 5th wheel fine but ruined the tires. (Tires is what wins races) Sorry I had to plagiarize that. I have since added "Air Lift 5000" Air Bags and changed to Dually rear wheels. The DRW conversion was in total $2000. Remember your suspension may be rated at 8K - 10K but your tires may only be rated at 2500lbs each.
I had a 2009 3500 with silide-in gross at 11,500. I tried everything, air bags helped lift but agrivated sway. I ultimatly solved all with 1) super leaf springs and 2) 295-70x18 Michelins rated at 4080 each. Road like a dream.

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
Nice story. Largely irrelevant to the OP's issue or question though.

·
P2609 Fanatic
6,182 Posts
Nice story. Largely irrelevant to the OP's issue or question though.
True, but the momentary topic change was refreshing considering the failure stories of people trying to put a top heavy truck camper on Ram 2500 have been going since 2014.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2022 Ram 5500 and added the kelderman air ride under it, and it did have the paper saying not built for slid in camper. Not sure what the issue is? But runs fine down the Hwy.
would like to find frame mounted tie-downs for it. If anyone has an idea?

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
True, but the momentary topic change was refreshing considering the failure stories of people trying to put a top heavy truck camper on Ram 2500 have been going since 2014.
Facts are facts.......
... The only reason you can overload your truck with a slide in camper, are the following..
1, it's a 3500
2, it has LEAF springs
3, it's stock
The rest of us poooorrr, suckers with a 2500 with springs, have no way to safely do such a sacrilege thing....
... even though it sais I can, or doesn't say I cant,,, on mine.
.. So the experts say, hear. :unsure:

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I have a 2022 Ram 5500 and added the kelderman air ride under it, and it did have the paper saying not built for slid in camper. Not sure what the issue is? But runs fine down the Hwy.
would like to find frame mounted tie-downs for it. If anyone has an idea?
Look into torque lift. It's very doubtfull,,,, but,,, if my never used frame mounts and tiedowns and brackets might work for
ya? I'll sell for half of what I paid.
The slip in brackets and tiedowns should be the same, frame mounts probably not.

·
P2609 Fanatic
6,182 Posts
The rest of us poooorrr, suckers with a 2500 with springs, have no way to safely do such a sacrilege thing....
Yes but the luxurious ride and comfort of a coil sprung 2014+ 2500 is a benefit us poor SRW 3500 owners are missing out on.:cry:

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
well this thread was fun...

and here I thought the reason you couldn't put a truck camper on a short box is because the bathrooms were too damn small.. that's why my wife didn't certify one for us :(
Wait till I really break the rulessss.
Put a short bed truck camper in a 2500 with the 100 gallon fuel tank in the back.

·
Registered
1999 dodge 2500 laramie SLT 5.9 extended cab auto 2wd 5th wheel hauler
96 Posts
Are the air bags on a common line? Meaning they are fed by a single air line split? If so when the camper rocks to one side it would push the air into the other bag, then push to the other side again and again like a water bed. You'll never stop the rocking side to side. If they are fed by separate lines then ignore this post. I haven't dealt with the factory air suspension here at my shop. But I know that when I install Firestone bags I always put each side on an independent supply line and never use a T from a single line

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
Facts are facts.......
... The only reason you can overload your truck with a slide in camper, are the following..
1, it's a 3500
2, it has LEAF springs
3, it's stock
Not sure why you’re defensive of or defending the notion you would have loaded a big ole camper on your 2500 coil truck and been happy with it. Heck you never even put a camper on it.
Buyer's remorse, or just feel the need for antagonism?
Realize this isn’t personal. It’s just that the design of the suspension isn’t conducive to high center of gravity loads.
Heck, I run about the same airbag pressure (slightly less) in my 2016 2500 with the toyhauler hitched up and stuff in the bed, as I did with a 2 ton TC in the back of a 2007 2500. Why? Just stock for stock springs, the coils have a softer initial spring rate.
combine that with bad geometry to resist body roll and it should be fairly evident why we are saying what we are.
But it’s the internet so keep on I suppose, about how a person who hasnt Hauled a TC in the truck is giving it 2 thumbs up!

Reactions: Bedlam

·
Registered
11,542 Posts
Not sure why you’re defensive of or defending the notion you would have loaded a big ole camper on your 2500 coil truck and been happy with it. Heck you never even put a camper on it.
Buyer's remorse, or just feel the need for antagonism?
Realize this isn’t personal. It’s just that the design of the suspension isn’t conducive to high center of gravity loads.
Heck, I run about the same airbag pressure (slightly less) in my 2016 2500 with the toyhauler hitched up and stuff in the bed, as I did with a 2 ton TC in the back of a 2007 2500. Why? Just stock for stock springs, the coils have a softer initial spring rate.
combine that with bad geometry to resist body roll and it should be fairly evident why we are saying what we are.
But it’s the internet so keep on I suppose, about how a person who hasnt Hauled a TC in the truck is giving it 2 thumbs up!

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Are the air bags on a common line? Meaning they are fed by a single air line split? If so when the camper rocks to one side it would push the air into the other bag, then push to the other side again and again like a water bed. You'll never stop the rocking side to side. If they are fed by separate lines then ignore this post. I haven't dealt with the factory air suspension here at my shop. But I know that when I install Firestone bags I always put each side on an independent supply line and never use a T from a single line
Mine are single plumed.
... I was going popup truck camper for my wants and putting stuff, heavy stuff in a 6X10 enclosed trailer, so i would be very legal on the bed lbs.
... I still might go the TC rout, its just my custom order, turned into a crapshow.

Reactions: Drhillier
21 - 40 of 64 Posts