Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
You need a set of timburns or air bags the issue lies with the springs being so far inboard (close to the center) you loose stability with the added bags or timburns it increases the stability as the weight is now supported much further outboard closer to where the leafs on a 3500 would sit so in doing that it makes the truck much more stable so the higher COG of the truck camper will not effect it as much

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Actually quite relevant. There is an issue at hand that needs solutions others have found to work. Rather than being a shmuck, perhaps if you have nothing relevant to add to the conversation, just shut up. Airbags will provide greater greater lift and squaring of the vehicle so he is not Bull dogging and losing weight on his drive wheels, and by adding dually, wheels will give him a wider more stable ride with increased weight capacity.
Anyone who says a dually is a more stable ride makes me laugh yes the wheels are out further but thats not where the stability matters its all in the stiffness/position of the springs… the only benefit to duals is the extra load cap of having 2 more tires.

And to make a new coil sprung 2500 a dually would be a huge project having to make all the brackets for the dually axle plus you would have to make custom 4 link arms and brackets for the axle so the inner dual would clear….

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Stand up and spread your legs a little. Have someone bump you from the side. You'll move a little. Now spread your legs and have that person bump you with the same force. Greatly reduced reaction.
The wider track does help enormously. South of Vegas on I-15 we encountered probably a 40+ sidewind. I was white knuckled with a regular cab and Northstar popup camper. This was with Thuren 2.5 Kings and a Hellwig swaybar. SRW trucks with hardsided campers with both long and short beds were in the right lane going 40 mph with their flashers on. I look in the mirror and a dually with a sizeable Lance goes whizzing by. It's a matter of physics. The wider track along with the 8' bed with less mass behind the axle is a winner for towing and carrying a large camper. it's a matter of physics not opinion.
Thats a terrible example due to the hight of COG on a human vs a truck with slide in camper, my old SRW feels just as stable as my dually… the springs (pivot point) are in the same location so the stability remains the same…

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Well there's more to a dually that 2 extra wheels. Beefier leafs in the rear (apparently leafs at all lol) and typically longer wheel base since most of them are 8' beds, or mega cabs, or 4500/5500 trucks.. so in that sense yea having a dually adds stability no?

So short of the Long bed 3500 SRW, isn't a dually more stable? :D
Tons of short bed duallys out there and they do not have beefier springs than the SRW 3500, a 2500 has no issue with the weight its the stability of the inboard coils thats the issue

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I know there is a lot of short bed DRW's out there but they are Mega Cabs and thus still the long wheel base and that does help with stability. no? That was my point. While it may not be be the extra wheels exactly, its the rest of the config that comes with 3500 (or a long bed SRW 3500)

you sure about the 2500 vs 3500 leaf thing? I thought the 3500 had upper overloads or more leafs or something.

IDK anything about the coil setups... don't really care either :D
Lots of CC shorts aswell, overloads are usually an option not standard on 3500s there is merit to what you are saying about duallys my point was more his issue is the coil location its almost 10” in from where the leafs would sit so you are losing about 20 inches on the bottom width of your stability triangle which is pretty drastic
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Coil springs provide a softer ride. Air bags can help you a lot here. Leafs can more easily be made to carry more weight and if set up correctly, can also provide a soft ride (like the newer trucks) I see a LOT of 2500's carrying / towing way more weight than is safe. There is no substitute for 4 tires in the rear for safety!
No need for 4 tires if you have the correct axle caps and proper tires and wheels for the weight

1 - 8 of 8 Posts