Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
There are options, you have to search online for those and pic what may work for you. With your factory air.
I have a normal spring 2500, they say the 2500's arent meant for truck campers. But the ( they ) people dont look into it enough.
Some have a info paper in said glove box sais no truck camper, mine being a 2 door 4x4 had no such paper and an online search sais mine is OK, to have a truck camper.
... I cant remember where i stumbled onto the info, but was right from ram.
All that information above put aside. I had a truck camper on order, and prepped my truck for it. I installed the frame mount tie downs, and airlift air bags. The air bags are less than 3 inches from the actual tire and a little behind the axel, so made to be a good fit for a heavy bed load.
.. My deal didnt work out, so i have the stuff installed and no truck camper.
A friend has a 2015 as mine, but with factory air ride, bought a 5ver and is over 1,000 overloaded in the bed lbs. He said his hole dash lit up when he dropped the camper on. He installed Timbrin, i beleave, and hasnt had a problem since. Though the truck rides less comfy than it did.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I’ve looked into that no slide camper allowed for some trucks, and it has to do with one of the prep groups - snow plow maybe? - for some reason.
I ordered goose neck and 5ver factory prep. Maybe thats it. I dont have the snow plow package. Maybe its because i got the rear slider window, in manual... Ha ha. Could be the 18 inch tires vs the 20.
It is amazing that some people wont/dont even attempt to find the solution to there own problem. Just post a question, and take random advise.
Maybe add to the question i chose a 2500 because of redgistration and licensing in my area.
Maybe just poke the bee's nest?????
In stock form, mine was rated at a legal 2,500lbs bed weight. A ford 150 gasser, with max tow and payload is over 3,000lbs.
As i was mounting the front drivers side frame mount, tie down.
.. I found that the DEF tank mount was in the way of installing the truck camper tie down. I could have mounted it farther back, but it wouldnt pull as forward of an angle as the passenger side, if any. Since i didnt need the tank or mount, i removed it. Seems kinda discriminating against the 2 doors.
.. The lbs that DEF, tank, and mount, add, when full,, really beats up the payload.
.... I should really weigh mine now. As i did stock and full of fuel, def, stuff i keep with me, and me, came in at right on, 7,500lbs. Putting my vin # in the ram sight, came to exactly 2,500 lbs payload.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
You haven’t even put a camper on your truck.
your advice and most of the rest in this thread is bunk. Unfortunately the OP has an even worse truck than yours for hauling a TC. And since he doesn’t even mention size/weight, he don’t know much about campers either. And no mention of if the airbags are even keeping up. They have about a 3000lb real world limit.
And adding airbags next to airbags is literally the worlds worse idea.
Not to mention the torque arm thingy. Does nothing for the OPs issue.
Best case, if you can find a heavy sway bar and idk if you can add Timbrens, is all you can do.

Or to put it a different way, I’ve had 2 different Arctic Fox campers on a 2007 Ram 2500. (Over 4klbs for those speaking in generalities…). Ended up with a 2016 2500, long story, but sold the TC and wouldn’t even consider putting one on a coil spring 2500. Why? Because I had a 2014 model Ram 2500 (company truck) and tried it.

Now, OP, if your camper is small and lightweight, say 2500lbs max and you’re just not used to driving it, it may be doable but you’ll at a minimum, have to adjust your expectations of how it will handle.
(n)

• Haha
Reactions: s10010001

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I didn't hand out the bad advice, buddy. Tell me what I said that was wrong, and why. Always willing to learn something new!
No offense meant to you personally, just helping the OP not make another mistake, is all.
Im good.
... You seem to have it covered,

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
True, but the momentary topic change was refreshing considering the failure stories of people trying to put a top heavy truck camper on Ram 2500 have been going since 2014.
Facts are facts.......
... The only reason you can overload your truck with a slide in camper, are the following..
1, it's a 3500
2, it has LEAF springs
3, it's stock
The rest of us poooorrr, suckers with a 2500 with springs, have no way to safely do such a sacrilege thing....
... even though it sais I can, or doesn't say I cant,,, on mine.
.. So the experts say, hear. :unsure:

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I have a 2022 Ram 5500 and added the kelderman air ride under it, and it did have the paper saying not built for slid in camper. Not sure what the issue is? But runs fine down the Hwy.
would like to find frame mounted tie-downs for it. If anyone has an idea?
Look into torque lift. It's very doubtfull,,,, but,,, if my never used frame mounts and tiedowns and brackets might work for
ya? I'll sell for half of what I paid.
The slip in brackets and tiedowns should be the same, frame mounts probably not.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
well this thread was fun...

and here I thought the reason you couldn't put a truck camper on a short box is because the bathrooms were too damn small.. that's why my wife didn't certify one for us :(
Wait till I really break the rulessss.
Put a short bed truck camper in a 2500 with the 100 gallon fuel tank in the back.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Are the air bags on a common line? Meaning they are fed by a single air line split? If so when the camper rocks to one side it would push the air into the other bag, then push to the other side again and again like a water bed. You'll never stop the rocking side to side. If they are fed by separate lines then ignore this post. I haven't dealt with the factory air suspension here at my shop. But I know that when I install Firestone bags I always put each side on an independent supply line and never use a T from a single line
Mine are single plumed.
... I was going popup truck camper for my wants and putting stuff, heavy stuff in a 6X10 enclosed trailer, so i would be very legal on the bed lbs.
... I still might go the TC rout, its just my custom order, turned into a crapshow.

Reactions: Drhillier
1 - 10 of 10 Posts