Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Given the same frame and suspension, a SRW and DRW will have the same stability until you get to the point of raising a wheel. Only at that point will a wider track be more stable. The sway you feel when carrying a top heavy load is the result of suspension geometry and capacity although a little can be contributed to tire sidewall flex for four tires verses two. Going to 19.5" on a SRW negates the difference in additional LT tires on the same axle.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Or do something really different. . .
Just buy the right truck for your specific camper in the first place. 🙄
I have done it both ways. I started with a truck bought for another purpose that had a strong foundation for upgrades and figured out the parts to make it happen. I wanted to up-size campers to something beyond what that truck could handle OEM or upgraded, so I sold it and bought a truck that could handle the load in OEM trim knowing I could modify it later if needs changed. There is usually is more than one way to handle issues and many times the right way for someone is what you feel is the most comfortable even if there there are other paths you could have followed.

·
Registered
830 Posts
If you think RV's or boating are expensive, look into aviation. I always had a fascination with it and even worked in that field, but I never had the wallet to do it myself. I have limited funds to live without being in debt, so I try to do things once that will last a long time. It does mean I may have to wait to build up a reserve before jumping into it, but it does save me from having pay multiple times for something poorly done or thought out. I'm in the process of building a home framed in red iron rather than wood - You would think that this would be low cost and easy, but I could have a stick home for less money and effort than I am putting into my build.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts