Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11,650 Posts
I have a 2020 ram 2500 with full factory air suspension. I bought a slide in camper and boy do I regret it. Truck wobbles side to side even driving on a straight road
What can i do to fix this problem?
To be honest you need a 3500 with rear leaves but you can try these.
Some Bilsteins all around will benefit the handling too.

·
Registered
11,650 Posts
Not sure why you’re defensive of or defending the notion you would have loaded a big ole camper on your 2500 coil truck and been happy with it. Heck you never even put a camper on it.
Buyer's remorse, or just feel the need for antagonism?
Realize this isn’t personal. It’s just that the design of the suspension isn’t conducive to high center of gravity loads.
Heck, I run about the same airbag pressure (slightly less) in my 2016 2500 with the toyhauler hitched up and stuff in the bed, as I did with a 2 ton TC in the back of a 2007 2500. Why? Just stock for stock springs, the coils have a softer initial spring rate.
combine that with bad geometry to resist body roll and it should be fairly evident why we are saying what we are.
But it’s the internet so keep on I suppose, about how a person who hasnt Hauled a TC in the truck is giving it 2 thumbs up!

·
Registered
11,650 Posts
Anyone who says a dually is a more stable ride makes me laugh yes the wheels are out further but thats not where the stability matters its all in the stiffness/position of the springs… the only benefit to duals is the extra load cap of having 2 more tires.

And to make a new coil sprung 2500 a dually would be a huge project having to make all the brackets for the dually axle plus you would have to make custom 4 link arms and brackets for the axle so the inner dual would clear….
Stand up and spread your legs a little. Have someone bump you from the side. You'll move a little. Now spread your legs and have that person bump you with the same force. Greatly reduced reaction.
The wider track does help enormously. South of Vegas on I-15 we encountered probably a 40+ sidewind. I was white knuckled with a regular cab and Northstar popup camper. This was with Thuren 2.5 Kings and a Hellwig swaybar. SRW trucks with hardsided campers with both long and short beds were in the right lane going 40 mph with their flashers on. I look in the mirror and a dually with a sizeable Lance goes whizzing by. It's a matter of physics. The wider track along with the 8' bed with less mass behind the axle is a winner for towing and carrying a large camper. it's a matter of physics not opinion.

·
Registered
11,650 Posts
Given the same frame and suspension, a SRW and DRW will have the same stability until you get to the point of raising a wheel. Only at that point will a wider track be more stable. The sway you feel when carrying a top heavy load is the result of suspension geometry and capacity although a little can be contributed to tire sidewall flex for four tires verses two. Going to 19.5" on a SRW negates the difference in additional LT tires on the same axle.
My buddy went to 19.5's on his '05 2500. It doesn't handle as well as a dually he sees on the road especially passing a truck or having one come at him from the opposite direction. Super singles on the back might be the next move.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts