Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
I ordered goose neck and 5ver factory prep. Maybe thats it. I dont have the snow plow package. Maybe its because i got the rear slider window, in manual... Ha ha. Could be the 18 inch tires vs the 20.
It is amazing that some people wont/dont even attempt to find the solution to there own problem. Just post a question, and take random advise.
Maybe add to the question i chose a 2500 because of redgistration and licensing in my area.
Maybe just poke the bee's nest?????
In stock form, mine was rated at a legal 2,500lbs bed weight. A ford 150 gasser, with max tow and payload is over 3,000lbs.
As i was mounting the front drivers side frame mount, tie down.
.. I found that the DEF tank mount was in the way of installing the truck camper tie down. I could have mounted it farther back, but it wouldnt pull as forward of an angle as the passenger side, if any. Since i didnt need the tank or mount, i removed it. Seems kinda discriminating against the 2 doors.
.. The lbs that DEF, tank, and mount, add, when full,, really beats up the payload.
.... I should really weigh mine now. As i did stock and full of fuel, def, stuff i keep with me, and me, came in at right on, 7,500lbs. Putting my vin # in the ram sight, came to exactly 2,500 lbs payload.
You haven’t even put a camper on your truck.
your advice and most of the rest in this thread is bunk. Unfortunately the OP has an even worse truck than yours for hauling a TC. And since he doesn’t even mention size/weight, he don’t know much about campers either. And no mention of if the airbags are even keeping up. They have about a 3000lb real world limit.
And adding airbags next to airbags is literally the worlds worse idea.
Not to mention the torque arm thingy. Does nothing for the OPs issue.
Best case, if you can find a heavy sway bar and idk if you can add Timbrens, is all you can do.

Or to put it a different way, I’ve had 2 different Arctic Fox campers on a 2007 Ram 2500. (Over 4klbs for those speaking in generalities…). Ended up with a 2016 2500, long story, but sold the TC and wouldn’t even consider putting one on a coil spring 2500. Why? Because I had a 2014 model Ram 2500 (company truck) and tried it.

Now, OP, if your camper is small and lightweight, say 2500lbs max and you’re just not used to driving it, it may be doable but you’ll at a minimum, have to adjust your expectations of how it will handle.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
My '07 2500 came with a warning for shortbeds that they were not approved for slide in campers. And that was with leafs.
And yet they are a 100% better application than a coil sprung 2500.
Why would you recommend the OP yard out the OEM integrated air suspension in favor of coil springs? Seems like a good way to ruin a $100k (CDN $) truck unless the OP is skilled in fabrication and programming.

Reactions: Radride

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
I didn't hand out the bad advice, buddy. Tell me what I said that was wrong, and why. Always willing to learn something new!
No offense meant to you personally, just helping the OP not make another mistake, is all.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
I have a 2020 ram 2500 with full factory air suspension.
Thought I'd put up a refresher of what the OP said, for those that assume he has coils.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
I have a 2020 ram 2500 with full factory air suspension. I bought a slide in camper and boy do I regret it. Truck wobbles side to side even driving on a straight road
What can i do to fix this problem?
Too open ended of a question. How much does the camper weigh? Presume it's fairly lightweight or your air ride wouldn't even work.
That said, "some" of the issue could be your expectations or experience with a high CoG load like a TC. Unless you're over-trucked for the weight, a TC will cause far more body roll than the same weight with a lower CoG.

Reactions: Electrojake

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 towed the 5th wheel fine but ruined the tires. (Tires is what wins races) Sorry I had to plagiarize that. I have since added "Air Lift 5000" Air Bags and changed to Dually rear wheels. The DRW conversion was in total $2000. Remember your suspension may be rated at 8K - 10K but your tires may only be rated at 2500lbs each.
Nice story. Largely irrelevant to the OP's issue or question though.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Facts are facts.......
... The only reason you can overload your truck with a slide in camper, are the following..
1, it's a 3500
2, it has LEAF springs
3, it's stock
The rest of us poooorrr, suckers with a 2500 with springs, have no way to safely do such a sacrilege thing....
... even though it sais I can, or doesn't say I cant,,, on mine.
.. So the experts say, hear. :unsure:
Not sure why you’re defensive of or defending the notion you would have loaded a big ole camper on your 2500 coil truck and been happy with it. Heck you never even put a camper on it.
Buyer's remorse, or just feel the need for antagonism?
Realize this isn’t personal. It’s just that the design of the suspension isn’t conducive to high center of gravity loads.
Heck, I run about the same airbag pressure (slightly less) in my 2016 2500 with the toyhauler hitched up and stuff in the bed, as I did with a 2 ton TC in the back of a 2007 2500. Why? Just stock for stock springs, the coils have a softer initial spring rate.
combine that with bad geometry to resist body roll and it should be fairly evident why we are saying what we are.
But it’s the internet so keep on I suppose, about how a person who hasnt Hauled a TC in the truck is giving it 2 thumbs up!

Reactions: Bedlam

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Actually quite relevant. There is an issue at hand that needs solutions others have found to work. Rather than being a shmuck, perhaps if you have nothing relevant to add to the conversation, just shut up. Airbags will provide greater greater lift and squaring of the vehicle so he is not Bull dogging and losing weight on his drive wheels, and by adding dually, wheels will give him a wider more stable ride with increased weight capacity.
Dude, you're as clueless as @lineman1234 who, after professing to know a bunch about putting a TC on a truck, just admitted, in writing that he plumbed up a literal bouncy house with his airbags...

Guys, it's ok, if you don't understand something, to stfu and learn a little. I don't go to the hospital and pretend to know more than the doctor, because I married a nurse....
Maybe take that advice quietly and sit back and learn a bit rather than being a try hard...

PS, I think you meant not losing weight on the STEERING axle, not the drives...but icbw...lol
PPS, yes I do realize you were trying to help the OP, however you are using an example of a totally different vehicle with totally different suspension system and totally different loading scenario. Therefore it is largely or even completely irrelevant to the original question. If you don’t understand why that is the case, then use the info provided here to help understand the differences. Because they’re literally night and day different.

Reactions: Bedlam

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Anyone who says a dually is a more stable ride makes me laugh yes the wheels are out further but thats not where the stability matters its all in the stiffness/position of the springs… the only benefit to duals is the extra load cap of having 2 more tires.

And to make a new coil sprung 2500 a dually would be a huge project having to make all the brackets for the dually axle plus you would have to make custom 4 link arms and brackets for the axle so the inner dual would clear….
C'mon man, in my best Brandon voice....you're just blowing smoke up his skirt! He obviously knows how "simple" it would be to convert a coil truck to a dually with leafs....prolly done 6 of them this year in his back yard!
LOL

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Thats a terrible example due to the hight of COG on a human vs a truck with slide in camper, my old SRW feels just as stable as my dually… the springs (pivot point) are in the same location so the stability remains the same…
To be fair to @Danderson, what he said has some validity and what you said, also does, however, given same load and spring rate, dually does have a wider base width once the dynamics of the springs are taken out of the equation, and greater W vs H = more stable. The actual answer is somewhere in between.

Reactions: Jimmy N.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts