·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
want to know more about it anybody?

·
Registered
78 Posts
well you need to ask some questions really--but here's some advice---it looks like your truck is fairly stock--

always use 4lo and tranny in Drive with the Overdrive OFF with an AUTO tranny
always use 4lo and the gear is your choice---usually 2nd or 3rd--unless you have an very good clutch then maybe 4th

once you've backed up to the sled and have been told to stop, put truck in N and hands out the window---once you're hooked they will tell you to tighten the chain--just move forward until you feel it tighten or someone says OK---once you've heard OK then you turn your attention to the flag man---he should be holding up a RED flag---this means do nothing, once he gives you the green flag you can go ahead and

with an AUTO tranny:

powerbrake to build 5lbs of boost and then go---you should be pedal to the floor at 20-25ft--

with a MANUAL tranny:

guys slip the clutch to get some boost built up off the line, but again you need a very good clutch--and again gear is your choice, but pedal to the floor same as above

you need to watch the flag man, because if something is wrong he will give you the RED flag which means stop----this doesn't mean put on the brakes, it means let off the go pedal---if you brake the sled could(will) smack into you----so you let off the throttle and let the sled stop you and once stopped then brakes on and in N---

if all goes well the sled will stop you once you've maxed out---you will be told to back up to unhook---so back up and put tranny in N and hands out the window---once given the ok drive away--

there's usually a 5mph speed limit---

depending on rules you may be able to block the rear or hang weights---that you'll have to figure out from the event sponsor----

if you have a manual tranny you're best best bet is to try 3rd gear--if you can't get it out of the hole or it feels like it's not going to do crap then let off the go pedal and let the sled stop you---most events let you re-hook if you stop before 75' or 100'--so then you try 2nd gear the next time------hope this helps........chris

·
Registered
245 Posts
thanks for the info chris

·
Registered
78 Posts
no problem---

·
Registered
22 Posts
:peelouthey thanks for the info im plannin on doin a sled pull for my first time this year i hope what you said helps out thanks

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i was wondering about how much were trying to drag in a pull. ive pulled alot of dead weight and it got me excited so i have decided to give sled pulling a shot. but wondering how much were trying to pull and how the trucks are usually classified

·
Banned
4,306 Posts
well i was wondering about how much were trying to drag in a pull. ive pulled alot of dead weight and it got me excited so i have decided to give sled pulling a shot. but wondering how much were trying to pull and how the trucks are usually classified
I've asked that same question to guys operating the sleds out my way. They usually said 30k#-40k# depending on class pulling. I'm no pro by far, but I've pulled a few sleds & it is not that bad if you choose the right gear. Most guys try to use a stock clutch & grab a big gear, doesn't work. My advice is if you are stock, don't pull. If you want to pull anyways, don't try to build boost at the start, it doesn't work, clutch fries every time. There is a link in my sig to my pull last year in Reedsville, W.V. I got 1st place, but only by 4ft.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've asked that same question to guys operating the sleds out my way. They usually said 30k#-40k# depending on class pulling. I'm no pro by far, but I've pulled a few sleds & it is not that bad if you choose the right gear. Most guys try to use a stock clutch & grab a big gear, doesn't work. My advice is if you are stock, don't pull. If you want to pull anyways, don't try to build boost at the start, it doesn't work, clutch fries every time. There is a link in my sig to my pull last year in Reedsville, W.V. I got 1st place, but only by 4ft.
mines an auto and has a valair tranny. the engine in my truck now is close to stock but i am bulding a 12v to pull with what class is 900hp

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
its cool is that an advantage?

·
Registered
401 Posts
what gear did u start off in ur vid 724, very nice pull by the way...and when u pulled was everything in ur sig on ur truck?....well prolly not the adrenaline

·
Banned
4,306 Posts
what gear did u start off in ur vid 724, very nice pull by the way...and when u pulled was everything in ur sig on ur truck?....well prolly not the adrenaline
Thanks, just a rookie but I try. The sled was heavy that night so I dropped down to 2nd HI, but I like 4th LOW. I had everything in my signature except the Adrenaline, had a Drag comp that night stacked with Smarty. The Adrenaline is alot stronger than my old stack, should be a good year.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
With the clutch I got could I still sled pull.or would i tear something up

1 - 14 of 14 Posts