Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Diesel-less
4,259 Posts
Found this...

The bolt-on "Slapper Bar" is one of the most basic traction devices available. Originally pioneered by Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins in the mid-sixties, it gets its name from the way it works. One end of the Traction Bar replaces the stock spring pad and is clamped to the rear axle housing. The front end of the bar is suspended just below the spring eye. When the housing begins to rotate during launch, the bar also rotates until it contacts or "slaps" the spring. (Unlike other brands, Competition Engineering Traction Bars make contact directly below the front spring eye, preventing spring damage). When contact occurs, the Slapper Bar becomes a lever trying to push the axle housing down and planting the tires in the process. Competition Engineering, 80 Carter Dr., Dept. SC, Guilford, CT 06437, 203-453-5200, www.competitionengineering.com.

·
Go for Broke
6,699 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Traction bar to me too.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The same here traction bars the cheap version move from one car to the other. I had them on 63 Chevy 3 speed Hersh on the floor running a 283 holly double pumper and peaked with fat slicks.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I don't think they would work. The only time I've ever seen them is on cars. There is alot less spring arch than on a truck I think the bars would be entirely too far away from anything to function. Not to mention If you were able to get them to work with some creative fabrication, its very possible they may interfere with suspension travel. Very interesting idea though. I'd like to see someone try to tackel that for some feed back.

·
Registered
23 Posts
We called them traction bars in the 80's... 90's... and in the new century

1 - 15 of 15 Posts