Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i have looked all over for someone else with this same issue!
so here is what the issue is, when i put my truck in gear (weather its drive or reverse) it makes a clunk but drives fine and shifts fine. but then when driving if i am in high gear and let off there feels like slack. any ideas?:confused013:

· Registered
738 Posts
These trucks are well known for this issue (Dodge trucks of the 90's and early 2000's with our style in general) I had a 99 1500 that would do it hard in reverse. Drove it like that for probably 75k without a single problem. Really a non-issue, just somewhat annoying perhaps.

· ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀&
2,408 Posts
Mine did it bad when i got it. New U-joints cut it down a bit but it still does it. i got used to shifting so it wouldnt bang. Now my syncros are going and ive started double clutching and its a lot harder to get the rpms right so it doesnt clunk. Until i get better at double clutching im getting a hard clunk at like every other shift.

· Registered
213 Posts
my truck does it too, u joints good, tranny... well its ok, i think it's a bit of play in the rearend along with some "gently used" motor and tranny mounts :rof. I notice it the most in 5th gear when i use my autopilot going up and down hills... autopilot being my foot wedged between the pedal and the transmission tunnel carpet

· ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀&
2,408 Posts
I notice it the most in 5th gear when i use my autopilot going up and down hills... autopilot being my foot wedged between the pedal and the transmission tunnel carpet
You dont use georgia overdrive?

Im starting to just float em now that my syncs are about gone.

· Registered
1,074 Posts
Could be pinion gear wear in the rear differential, definitely explian you hearing it when load is initially applied to drivetrain.

· Registered
6,561 Posts
i had a 89 dodge w150 3speed auto with posi track every time i would shift from park to drive or reverse it would clunk i think only rear diff lockers do that

· Registered
213 Posts
You dont use georgia overdrive?

Im starting to just float em now that my syncs are about gone.
lol at o-dark thirty im too lazy to reach over and move the shifter:sleeping015:

my friend laughed his off when he noticed my autopilot mode... one hand on wheel w/ elbow on window, other arm on center console, left foot kicked out and my right foot wedged between the pedal and the tranny tunnel carpet

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.