Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
I asked my RAM dealer for some options on lifting my truck. I don't want to go too high so I was thinking about a leveling kit. I pull a horse trailer a lot, bumper pull, and I don't want the back to sag when I tow. In fact, I like the factory rake and would like to maintain it. The dealer suggested a Skyjacker full coil leveling kit with 1 inch rear blocks. The Skyjacker kit says it lifts 2-2.5 inches. This makes me think I should put 2 inch blocks in the rear but the dealer just insists the 1 inch looks better. Any of you have experience and advise with a setup like this?
I appreciate any help.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
I think you would be better off leaving it stock rather than go with a Skyjacker kit.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I went with the Thuren 2.75" leveling springs and adjustable track bar for the front. I then called Superlift and bought the rear components from a 4" lift kit. Superlift only lifts the rear 2.5" in a 4" lift kit. Therefore I've got 2.75" in the front and 2.5" in the rear. The Thuren springs in the front ride much better than stock and I bought his Overland shocks to go with it. The rear was lifted with spacer blocks under the factory springs, so the lift does not change the factory ride or load capacity (sag) of the back end. This way, I was able to keep all or most of the factory rake while getting a little more height out of the truck. I too wanted the truck to not sag while towing due to softer springs.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Whenever I lift my trucks I order the lift kits the way I want them last 2 or 3 kids have been through zone or bds. When I ordered my current set up , zone 4.5”, I specified I wanted the rear coils to be 4.5”, the same coils they use in their 6.5” lift kit. Personally, I believe you have a functional reason for wanting to keep the factory rake. The dealership may tell you a 1” block looks better, but I think the factory rake looks better, so that’s all an opinion. Go check out some other shops, a dealer will probably wanna skim some cash off the top for their work. More so then a 4x4 outfit or good garage. I mean hell, I put mine on in the driveway solo in about 5 hours. Also, if your worried about sag throw some airbags under there

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
It seems odd to call something a "leveling kit" when you're also lifting the rear...

Anyway, on my 13 I initially did 2" front spacers, which level the truck perfectly until you put any weight in the back. Even just 500 lbs in the back had it starting to look like it was sagging.

In my opinion, the ideal situation is 1" more lift in the front vs the rear. I currently have 3" front springs and 2" rear blocks. It looks perfect unloaded and the rear doesn't sag when loaded. I think an empty truck should have a slight rake but a bit less than what the gave us from the factory. I'm also a fan of having the minimum amount of lift required to clear the tires you want to run. Excess lift is such a Ford thing.

Reactions: x2mosg

·
Registered
155 Posts
I think you would be better off leaving it stock rather than go with a Skyjacker kit.

This...

Go with Thuren coils/shackles/shocks

Reactions: x2mosg

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Nothing wrong a box kit. Skyjacker , bds, zone. All decent kits. No they don’t have the race engineering a thuren or Carli kit has, but for the money they are fine.

Reactions: Paco23

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I probably should have started my question with a description of the truck. It's a 2017 RAM 3500. Right now it's completely stock except for a grill guard and a headache rack.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
A buddy has 1.5" front spacers and nothing in the rear and the stance is good. He tows a bit and has a heavy camper on once in a while and that small amount of sag still looks pretty level. If the Skyjacker kit does 2 - 2.5" and you want to maintain factory rake then do a 2" rear block. Even the 1" will look fine if you ask me.

Reactions: Paco23

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the input everyone. I went with Skyjacker front springs, FOX shocks, and 2" blocks in the rear. I'm happy with how it came out. The wheels are stock 275/70R18. I may go to a bigger tire size next time I need to buy tires as long as I don't loose any weight rating.

Attachments

·
Ducati M.
6,815 Posts
The good news is with 18” wheels you do get some substantial load ratings. I think I’ve only seen a few tires in 18” that had a load rating less than a 123. My 325/65r18 duratracs have a 127 load rating.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Air bags 100%

Reactions: Dok_M

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Thanks for all the input everyone. I went with Skyjacker front springs, FOX shocks, and 2" blocks in the rear. I'm happy with how it came out. The wheels are stock 275/70R18. I may go to a bigger tire size next time I need to buy tires as long as I don't loose any weight rating.
You used the 2-2.5" springs in the front? It almost looks like you increased the rake a little.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think at first glance it looks like the rake increased a little because the wheels are small (original), but I don't think it did. After living with it a couple of weeks I don't see that any more. The front was lifted with the Skyjacker springs which claim 2" to 2-1/2" and the rear is lifted with 2" blocks. I think the Skyjacker springs are accurate, although I forgot to measure before :-(. I'm real pleased with the look and I'm glad I went with 2" rear blocks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts