Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Single disk or triple disk converter?

4029 Views 9 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  meb727
I have decided to go with a goereand (think thats how its spelled) torque converter, to replace my slipping stocker. My '03 is a daily driver, with a intake, exhaust and smarty programmer. When I tow, it is usually my 5k pound boat, and i also tow my 8k pound toy hauler 4-5 times a year also. nothing too heavy. Should I go with the triple disk, or the single disk converter? Do they both stall and act the same, just the triple disk has more "lock-up" holding power? I talked to goereand today, but the owner is not threre to answer any questions till monday. Wanted your guys' opinions. thanks!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
287 Posts
bump for ya:thumbsup:

· Registered
1,209 Posts
I think you would really be better off contacting them directly. All trucks are different. Gear ratio, tire size, GVW,....etc. I was asked a whole line of questions before i bought mine with my tranny.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will speak with them directly on monday, just the receptionist is in today. I was searching the forum, seems like most everyone with needs similar to mine is running the single disk. My truck is a 235 horsepower truck stock, so the smarty on level7 is like 125hp over stock i think. either way, im well under the 550hp that is the threshold for single disk to triple disk, i think. Anyone else?

· Registered
1,478 Posts
I've heard that a single is perfect for people who are staying under 450hp and not racing. A single is going to be a lot more comfortable for a daily driver vs. the hard shift of the triple disk.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do the single disk and the triple disk have the same stall speed and torque multiplication? IS the only difference the lockup holding power of the triple disk? Also...the triple disk is being described as harsh shifting. Is this when locked up or just in general? If it shifs harsher all the time with the triple, that would mean to me that it is a much tighter unit stall wise and is transfering more power to the ground at lower rpms. Thanks again for your feedback!

PS - will be ordering from owner of goereand monday, so im sure he will set me straight also.

· Registered
343 Posts
Make sure and let us know what he tells you about the TC and their differences. I'm not in a situation where I need to do anything with my transmission yet, but when I get there, I'm going Goerend, so the information will do me good for staying ahead of the game on knowing what I need to do.

· Premium Member
19,660 Posts
The stall can be setup differently whether it be a single or a triple. IMO, for your application, the single fits the bill.

I am also running a single.

· Registered
53 Posts
If you run a triple, & do any serious launches-then (at least) a billet input shaft would be in order. For a DD, a single would be the way to go (what I'm eventually going to get!).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.