Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· DieselAutoPower.com
7,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be the minimal clutch I'd need for a 65hp box or possibly a wire tap box? I might add RV275 sticks as well. Would a stocker survive? I think they'll live behind a stock engine with a 65hp box. But I'm not to sure about a wiretap or RV275's + box. Trying to get by cheap on it.

· Mule Barn Proprietor
11,777 Posts
Quad XZT+ and RV 275s killed my clutch. 12 1/4 inch stock Nv4500 towing.

Some have babied them for longer.

The 13" NV5600 clutches can take alot more

· DieselAutoPower.com
7,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Fudge. How about just an XZT+? (Looking at the scout since I need gauges, it's basically a XZT with a pulse screen)

What entry level clutch would handle a 120hp fueling box and RV275s? The one good/bad thing about my setup will be the transmission. It'll have a 2wd NV4500 with a divorced NP205. So dropping the trans for clutch work won't be as bad.

· Just Another Slow VP
5,247 Posts
i got a SB single....i forget if its the 350 or 400hp rated, but it holds my HOT J/A just fine. towin upto 20k without any problems

but thats a nv5600....... :confused013:

· Registered
305 Posts
I broke the center and destroyed a southbend single disc rated for 450 hp with just the edge juice and 150 hp injectors, so yeah, if you are just adding a box, id get at least the con ofe, itll handle a box and and the 65 hp injectors fine. they run bout 600 bucks roughly i think. we put a stock replacement from napa in my grandfathers 99 and it cost 500 so we should have put the southbend in it for just 100 bucks more.

· Mule Barn Proprietor
11,777 Posts
NMU70119-01

12.25" x 1.25" Stock Organic Replacement
Premium Brass Woven Organic Facings
HD Spring Hub
Rated @ 400HP / 850 ft lbs Torque
3800# Pressure Plate
Kit includes: Pressure Plate, Clutch Disc, Release Bearing, Pilot Bearing and Alignment Tool.

Maybe this one :confused013:

· DieselAutoPower.com
7,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wanted to just keep the stock flywheel. I believe the clutch I have is low mileage. It'll go together with a 65hp box at most for now. Guess I'll just put it together with the parts I've got laying around and see how it does.

· Registered
305 Posts
thatd work too. the thing with chosing a clutch is to look at what you will do with the truck over the next 2 yrs, if you haul alot and run power adders, add up what the advertised hp for each product is and then get a clutch at least 50 hp and 100 ft lbs higher then that number or if you plan on adding more aftermarket stuff, go even bigger. visit southbends website, theyv got a section called "decing what clutch you need", even if you dont buy southbend, itll at least give you an idea

· DieselAutoPower.com
7,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
NMU70119-01

12.25" x 1.25" Stock Organic Replacement
Premium Brass Woven Organic Facings
HD Spring Hub
Rated @ 400HP / 850 ft lbs Torque
3800# Pressure Plate
Kit includes: Pressure Plate, Clutch Disc, Release Bearing, Pilot Bearing and Alignment Tool.

Maybe this one :confused013:
Where'd you find that? I went to valair's site, but I'm having a hard time finding anything.

Edit: nevermind. I found it.

· DieselAutoPower.com
7,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thatd work too. the thing with chosing a clutch is to look at what you will do with the truck over the next 2 yrs, if you haul alot and run power adders, add up what the advertised hp for each product is and then get a clutch at least 50 hp and 100 ft lbs higher then that number or if you plan on adding more aftermarket stuff, go even bigger. visit southbends website, theyv got a section called "decing what clutch you need", even if you dont buy southbend, itll at least give you an idea
The engine is my old cracked 53 block. I'm not going to turn this one up like my current truck. It's patched together with a bunch of weld. (I didn't do it) and leaks when you run it hard. It will be in a 4x4 with 4.11 gears and some large tires though. Not rock climbing though, just mud and cruising around.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.