Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am i going to have problems spoolin the SB66 with stock injectors and the smarty for fueling. Ive reached the limits of the phatshaft 62 and want to go bigger but should i go ahead and go with the 66 and have some lag or go with a 62 or 64

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
you will have more lag when trying to light the bullet with stock sticks

·
Registered
13,852 Posts
I went from a 66 to a 62... I run stock 06 injectors w/ the 230hp Smarty program. same EGT's and top end pull, but the 62 spools a ton better... buy what you need IMO

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
the bullet is a great turbo if you dont plan on towing heavy and have the fuel to fire it off its more of a hp turbo made for guys going for numbers without the twins i ran a silver 62 for a bit before i jumped up to the bullet then i dumped the bullet for twins

·
Registered
727 Posts
I think you would require bigger sticks to light the Silver 66.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
not if you dont have the fuel to dump into the motor i ran 200hp sticks with my bullet and it smoked okay till it fired off but if your running stock sticks you dont have the fuel to feed it let alone to let it smoke bad

·
Bubbles
1,231 Posts
Its not too bad I ran that combo for almost a year, but if i was going to do it again I would have gone with a silver 62. Your exhaust temps might actually be higher with the 66 since it has to try and catch up more so than a 62

·
World Champs!!!
24,255 Posts
Trust me, its a laggy SOB. Ive asked guys for 2 years, and everybody said its not that bad. It is. If you stand on it, its nothing but thick black smoke out the stacks. I have an interstate on-ramp thats close to a mile long from a stoplight; I have no problem throwing real thick smoke that entire distance before it spools up, and thats at maybe half pedal. Flooring it itll downshift and smoke, but will light quicker.

However, once it lights, woh buddy! It added quit a bit on my top end, its almost a whole new animal. BUT, getting it to light is the hard part. I only got to drive it 2 days before my trnny blew up, so I was just starting to figure out how to drive around it. The first 2 days I had the stock intake and filter on, then broke down and got an AFE Stg. 2 which made a noticeable improvement in spool and less smoke.

Yes, you can drive around it, but I didnt have much time to do it. Just hope a little old lady on a Vespa tries to race you, because shell win...until the bullet lights that is

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well another things is that mine is a 6 speed, is this going to make it more driveable?
i may end up going with the silver 64

·
Bubbles
1,231 Posts
You can spool it but its not real fun to drive on the street. You will like the smaller turbo much better IMO. I think you would be better off running some water with your current setup.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
im planning on doing water/meth next, just intalled my intake manifold with some ports in it about 20 min ago

now i just have to figure out whats wrong with my truck.
i can put it on the floor where it will demand alot of fuel, it will lose all power, boost goes to zero, i let off and black smoke comes out the exhaust. ANY ideas would be greatly appreciated. Is it an injector hanging open to long?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think the bullet is very drivable if you know how to drive it. I ran a bullet with flux 4's among other stuff and it was laggy a little if you mashed it from a stop but if you are racing you are spooled before you leave and if on the street just roll into the throttle you will chase em down when it lights.Egts were to high for my likeing on highway runs. I am actually going to a HTT 71 which is way bigger since I put a cam in to help compensate some of the lag ( I want to make big numbers on a single) plus I like the roll on highway power curve. It is actually nice to have the lag so that you can drive in the rain without turning power down and spinning tires and it doesnt smoke bad if your smooth.even my wife rips my truck around. Its a matter of moderation and it also depends on fueling, elevation auto or stick etc everybody will have a different setup

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.