Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My final goal is a truck that can by a very fun toy, yet still be able to hook up to the 5th wheel and pull it with no issues

Tranny full of Daves stuff is just around the corner. I also have an Edge Juice w/ attitude and an Edge EZ sitting here waiting for install (Waiting to get tranny done first.). Still pondering getting Smarty and ditching the Edge Stuff ( I already have gauges installed)

So that said, would a Silver 62 do me any good? OR should I look in another direction? OR is there something else I should be adding and keep the stock turbo for now?

I am also curious how the Silver 62 will act when all the power is turned off.

·
Registered
680 Posts
My final goal is a truck that can by a very fun toy, yet still be able to hook up to the 5th wheel and pull it with no issues

Tranny full of Daves stuff is just around the corner. I also have an Edge Juice w/ attitude and an Edge EZ sitting here waiting for install (Waiting to get tranny done first.). Still pondering getting Smarty and ditching the Edge Stuff ( I already have gauges installed)

So that said, would a Silver 62 do me any good? OR should I look in another direction? OR is there something else I should be adding and keep the stock turbo for now?

Go with the SPS62, it will cool better while towing and perform better with programmers and boxes turned off.

The Silver62 is best suited for heavy fueling and drugs. You can utilize it for towing, I have, but the SPS62 was a much better "fit".

Just driving around empty I found it hard to tell the difference between the two, towing was another matter all together. The big difference was on the dyno with the same mods, Silver62 gave me 45/50 more hp and 110 more tq.

·
I bleed diesel
1,342 Posts

Do you spend more time playing or towing? With the right setup a Silver 62 will get you to 600 HP an running mid 12's, but as JJ said to get this performance you might sacrifce some towability. I tow with mine just fine, but I have different mods. Supporting mods like an aftermarket exhaust manifold, intake elbow, and intercooler all help improve the airflow, and overall towing characteristics of this turbo.

For all around performance it is a sweet little turbo, and I have been very impressed with what it offers in a small single.

When my electonics are off, It still spools really well. I attribute that to my injectors though.

·
Registered
562 Posts
The silver 62 is a awesome fun not very laggy turbo. A great choice IMO

·
Registered
592 Posts
Get it, you will not regret it, Fantastic turbo!

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So will this thing spool about as quick as the stock turbo or would I have to do injectors to get that "feature".

Also Since I have not done the tranny yet, would there be anything special I should ask for as far as the TC is concerned if I do this, or would there be no difference?

I presume all I need to install this would be some tools, the turbo and a Downpipe? or will this bolt right up without the downpipe?

·
Registered
680 Posts
So will this thing spool about as quick as the stock turbo or would I have to do injectors to get that "feature".

No it will not spool as fast as stock, injectors will definitely help.

Also Since I have not done the tranny yet, would there be anything special I should ask for as far as the TC is concerned if I do this, or would there be no difference?

You will want a tight converter and a valve body that will hold higher line pressure.

I presume all I need to install this would be some tools, the turbo and a Downpipe? or will this bolt right up without the downpipe?
You will not need a downpipe. And where you are now, I am still favoring the SPS62, the only diff between the two is the turbine wheel size, 74mm Silver, 71mm SPS, the SPS will light quicker.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As far as the tranny goes I am planning TC, VB, Flexplate, and billet input, intermediate and output shafts.

So in theory my tranny should be "mostly" bulletproof for whatever I decide to ever do.

I am actually even remotely considering a set of twins, but it may mean I have to be satisfied for a while so I can save a couple extra rolls of pennies. The Single I think I could swing now.

Maybe a PS62/14 now, and build it into twins later?

Too many decisions...I just would like to do it "right" the first time even if it means waiting a little longer.

Like I said my main goal is a quick truck that is lots of fun, yet I can pull my fifth wheel. Something I could pull a 5th wheel to a tough truck competition, compete, then pull the trailer home.

·
Registered
344 Posts
You will not need a downpipe. And where you are now, I am still favoring the SPS62, the only diff between the two is the turbine wheel size, 74mm Silver, 71mm SPS, the SPS will light quicker.
Actually the compressor configuration and compressor housing is different....it is designed too reduce surge while driving loaded.....and the wastegate ports are about 115% the size and flow of the SPS.

·
I bleed diesel
1,342 Posts

I used mine for quite a while with stock injectors and it lit fine. With the Smarty it actually spooled faster than the stock turbo and tuning.

Now, I have it spooling so fast I don't even feel the lag. I start seeing boost at around 1200 RPMs and it is fully cranking at 1500.

I am seriously contemplating putting this turbo on top of an S400 in a twins setup. Now that I have used it for a while I think it would work great in a twin application.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I used mine for quite a while with stock injectors and it lit fine. With the Smarty it actually spooled faster than the stock turbo and tuning.

Now, I have it spooling so fast I don't even feel the lag. I start seeing boost at around 1200 RPMs and it is fully cranking at 1500.

I am seriously contemplating putting this turbo on top of an S400 in a twins setup. Now that I have used it for a while I think it would work great in a twin application.
oh yeah man ........GO FOR IT :$: love to hear how good that combo works silver 62/S400 :hyper:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts