Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Should I run diesel additive in the winter months in my 6.7? I would run power service white bottle in my 5.9s, but I want to make sure its ok to run it in my 6.7.

And what do you call that brake like under the tail gate? Center stop lamp? 4th brake light? I think im going to take it off and nite shade it, but I dont know what they call it?

Is there an easy way of reprogramming my speedo without having to buy a full blown programmer? I know there is a thread about stock trucks and programmers and it seems to be ill advised to run a programmer on a stock truck.... and i dont want to void my warranty by doing the deletes. But I know my 22.5s throw off my speedo by over 10mph at 50, according to my GPS in my phone.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
I was also curious about using additives with the 6.7, and I've read on several posts here that we shouldn't use them, with a stock truck anyways. I've also asked several service guys at different dealerships about additives, all saying don't use them... at least as long as you have all the emissions stuff intact. Maybe somebody that knows better will chime in. About the speedo... I do know that you can go to the dealership and they will re-calibrate your speedo for the larger wheels/tires. I believe they usually charge $75-$100. My bro. had his recalibrated for 35's. I've talked to service manager about doing it, I just haven't been able to get around to it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You can use additives I use it in mine all year long. And some programmers you can run with or without deletes. I have the Edge and love it.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
I have never needed additives I just run diesel kleen every couple months.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
I also have used power service since I've gotten my truck both kinds too. The white bottle and the gray bottle. No problems with it at all.

·
World Champs!!!
24,232 Posts
So no additives? Then how do I prevent gelling when its -50?
You ever had a gelling issue? I never have, don't know anyone that has, and I've never run any additive. And it gets plenty chilly here in the winter

·
Registered
127 Posts
When I was in casper not one problem gelling. But when I was in yankton sd I gelled 250 gallons in my peterbilt Badger unit. Most of Montana Wyoming north Dakota the fuel that is sold at the pump is treated to -20°a according to most pumps.

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
Is there an easy way of reprogramming my speedo without having to buy a full blown programmer? I know there is a thread about stock trucks and programmers and it seems to be ill advised to run a programmer on a stock truck.... and i dont want to void my warranty by doing the deletes. But I know my 22.5s throw off my speedo by over 10mph at 50, according to my GPS in my phone.
Bypass the dealership because they won't be able to recalibrate your wheel/tire combo larger than 32.7". My dealer charged $80 to deliver this insightful news to me. Get the Hypertech. Worked great for me as I got within 1% of my actual tire diameter. My dealer OK'd the unit as long as I set everything back to stock before I take my truck in for any service and I don't download the power settings. Installation was quick and easy enough even for a caveman like me to do it. Hypertech - 752009 - Speedometer/Odometer Recalibration Programmer - D

·
Premium Member
4,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You ever had a gelling issue? I never have, don't know anyone that has, and I've never run any additive. And it gets plenty chilly here in the winter
My friends ford had gelling issues.... I havent. Shoot I dont even need to plug mine in most of the time.... even when its -30 LOL

·
Registered
13,651 Posts
For your original question about the light under the tailgate. That isn't a brake light, its a clearance light. It doesn't come on with the brakes. As for gelling in winter. You shouldn't gel with fuel you bought around your house. It should be treated for the weather. If it wasn't treated it would be gelling in the pumps. Where people run into problems is going down south, buying fuel and heading back up north with untreated or low treated fuel.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I call BS on not gelling. If you buy 50/50 from for the pump, you are good to go. If you get Winter Blend #2, it will gell at a certain point, usually when you think it is good to go - trust me. It has conditioner in it, but not as much as I would prefer. For what you pay for fuel conditioner, it is much easier to put it in it than to work on ungelling it.

I have run all sorts of conditioners, and they all work good. I personally like Power Service in the white jug. I've never had a problem with it and it is fairly cheap. In the lubricity tests that I have read up on, they always test fairly high.

·
Registered
13,651 Posts
If it gels in your tank it would be gelling in the pump and nozzle before it got to your tank....

·
Diesel Junkie
9,201 Posts
I'm not sure about on the 6.7s (I'd imagine it would be ok as its for ULSD) but I like Howels or Howes (SP?) Diesel treatment, its gold fluid in a clear bottle. I ran that in all the trucks I had in Wyoming and also down here when I can find it as a cleaner/additive

·
Registered
250 Posts
If it gels in your tank it would be gelling in the pump and nozzle before it got to your tank....
Yes. If you fill your tank when it was not at a low enough temperature to gel and the temperature drops that night, it will gel in your tank.

The pump and nozzles don't store a full hose of diesel. It is stored underground, thus having a warmer temperature than above ground. If the bulk tanks are outside above ground, chances are they are probably treated with conditioner though.

·
Registered
13,651 Posts
You don't think companies know when the time is right to put the right fuel in? Ever see that big filter on the side of fuel pumps? You don't think that is full of fuel? You don't think the hose is still full of fuel when you shut the pump off? I stand by my statement.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.