Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when you guys are talking about maximu egt temps, are you talking in C or F? i ask, because on my turbo cars, i can run up to 1650F for bursts or almost 900C.

here, i see everyone talking about keeping under 1250 or so....

i thought our cummins' could handle more abuse than a gas engine so i was initially thinking degrees C, but that's really high in F, so i'm confused. our pistons will melt at a lower temp than a gas engine?

the obvious answer is that the 1250 is in degrees F, but why so low? that's just barely starting to warm up in my Talon...

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
we dont use celcious in the united states. just kidding yeah we are refering to feronheight

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol, yeah i figured, but wanted to make sure!

·
Premium Member
8,547 Posts
cuz some are scared:ah:

·
T-BONE
987 Posts
Ive run mine up to 1500 F. And have heard a guy say hes got his up t 1900 F....Don't know about that one, but....

·
Banned
4,630 Posts
Yes, the diesels have different materials...remember that they have to withstand cylinder pressures that most gassers couldn't dream of. And because of this, they have to use stronger materials that have lower melting points...

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, the diesels have different materials... they have to use stronger materials that have lower melting points...
ok that's what i was wondering about.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Another reason for this is that we work these trucks.. For drag racing where you are only at those temps for a few seconds is not bad.. But when you put 20k lbs behind them and towe across the country then it will become a bad thing very quickly....

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
good point also.^

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I have had mine up to 1650 F* :thud: Didnt hold it there long but was at the strip and really wanted to beat the duramax :lol3:

(yes I got em :beer)

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
when you're at the track, logic and common sense never prevail!

·
Registered
557 Posts
for short distance i have seen quite a few with 1500-1700* F in the CTD but as a rule for longer distance don't go over 1250* F allthough i have a friend with a 95 12V that ran his truck pedal to the medal for almost 5 miles and his gauge stopped at 2,000* and it went past that now the side of his block looks like a manifold,i wouldn't do that but i have had my Duramax to 1800* F for a very short distance..

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have bumped 1700(F) with mine. It was only for a few seconds, but it hit it! The norm running empty seems to be around 900 - 1000 bumping up to 1400 during regen on this 6.7. Figure I'll run it till it blows, or the computer safety shutdown kicks in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts