Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my truck has 4000 miles on it and I got the "need oil change" message on the rear view mirror.

My truck is running bone stock.

The question:

I have a free oil change change coupon with the dealer (they kicked it in when I bought the truck), but have been doing a lot of reading here on the forums and would actually prefer to just do it myself so I do it right with the oil and filters I prefer. Does doing the oil change by oneself change my warranty? I know that some car companies insist that regular service intervals are done at dealers to maintain warranty. Anyone know if I in any way jeopardize my warranty by this easy DIY oil change?

· Registered
745 Posts
keep all the receipts for your oil change. However, from what I've read getting the oil filter off the first time is a total . You may want to use your freebie.

· Registered
1,027 Posts
I am a believer of using and or taking advantage of as many freebees as I can. if you got a free oil change, why not do it on thier dime? I got my initial oil change free and I also recieved 6 more coupons for free oil changes. I plan to take advantage of that. Especially until I get the deletes done. I figure that if I am going to have to get an oil change done every 3500 to 4000 miles based on the computer, might as well get as many free ones as I can.

AS to your question, anything you do that isn't done by the dealer is always subject to scrutiny and possible voided warranty. Welcome to Chrysler. That said, in most cases, as long as you keep a very good log of all maintenance done and receipts, you should not have to worry about your warranty.

· Registered
553 Posts
I plan on using my free oil change once the first one is due because of all the problems people are having with getting the first filter off, then i will just do it myself and use the oil i want.

· Registered
45 Posts

· Registered
98 Posts
The first fuel filter change is a bear as well. I think KONAN THE BARBARIAN puts them on at the factory.
I hear ya. My first oil filter was fine, but damn, that fuel filter was seriously on there..

· Premium Member
6,894 Posts
I hear ya. My first oil filter was fine, but damn, that fuel filter was seriously on there..
I had a couple freebies that I used up so I missed the first oil filter but the fuel filter made me mad. I actually crushed the housing with a strap type filter. I don't know how they got it on there without wrecking it in the first place!

As far as doing your own services, I've done all mine since with no issues. I buy in bulk, so no receipts. I just go to the notes section in my owners manual and write down the date, mileage, and what all I did.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.