Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
SUPER MODERATOR
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
who knows if this ring is in the turbo or did my cold air intake get rid of that already cause i didnt notice anymore noise after i put my volant on thanks all.

·
Registered
77 Posts
its on the turbo, the intake has nothing to do with it.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is it hard to take off or should i let a shop do it is the second thing:thumbsup

·
EAST TEXAS VP
3,432 Posts
Some of them are hard to get off....I know mine was!! Just have a few :beer in the process, and you should be alright.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
then it comes out in the morning if anyone has pics or can tell me how to do it since i dont know what it even looks like its my first cummins iv messed with

·
Registered
262 Posts
Just take off your intake tubing.. then look for a metal ring with a little gap (this is on the turbo) get some needle nose pliers and pop it out then the metal cone ring should slide right out then your set :thumbsup

·
Registered
228 Posts
Take your intake tube off our turbo, and take a scew driver and VERY carefully get under the compression ring and roll it out of the grove and presto... it out. simple

·
SUPER MODERATOR
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
does the ring have to go back in after sorry for all the questions but this truck is my baby dont want to hurt her lol

·
Registered
262 Posts
no sir it does not but keep it just in case you want to put it back in someday... also i got a check engine light after i took it out but it went away after a while

·
Registered
228 Posts
No, just put the cone and the ring in a safe place... just in case you want to put it back in.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks guys

·
Registered
262 Posts
Heres a good pic of whats going to be coming out :thumbsup

·
Registered
77 Posts
A silencer ring is a metal baffle placed into the turbocharger inlet to reduce whistle from the turbocharger. It is installed in Ram truck engines at the request of Chrysler. The silencer ring has no effect on engine output, EGT, or boost levels.
Removal:
Remove the flex hose from the front of the turbo that goes to the breather. Just inside the turbo, you will see a snap ring that looks like a piston ring (charcoal color), very gently with a small flat blade screw driver, lift one end of the snap ring out of the groove, then continue to work around the snap ring, lifting it out of the groove. When the snap ring has been removed, you can easily remove the silencer ring.

Image on left is WITH the ring. Image on the right is WITH OUT the ring.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
looks easy thanks guys if your ever in edmonton alberta i owe you a beer:beer

·
Registered
73 Posts
A silencer ring is a metal baffle placed into the turbocharger inlet to reduce whistle from the turbocharger. It is installed in Ram truck engines at the request of Chrysler. The silencer ring has no effect on engine output, EGT, or boost levels.
So other than the sweet turbo whistle, removing said ring does nothing performance wise? I love scaring moose and deer while flying down the highway!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thanks, just went out and took mine off too, mileage went down a little, right foot just got a bit heavier. Sounds a lot better.

·
Registered
351 Posts
It makes the whistle alittle less refined but it makes it much louder. At the competition diesel forum site some guys are saying that dyno tested they had proof of 7 hp gain. But i didnt notice a thing so im not sure i believe that.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
A few weeks ago I was talkin with a buddy of mine and I told him bout the silencer ring removal. He said he had never heard of doin that before. So since he has an aurora 3000 on his 04' we ventured into his garage to take a close look at his stock holset off the truck and see what would be involved in removing the ring. Removal was easy, but after looking into the turbo it seemed that doin this might actually hinder the proficiency of the turbo. With the ring on, it kind of funnels the air into the turbo from the intake, with it off there are multiple openings that surround the wheel (you can see what i'm talking about in the pics below) that appeared to me would create turbulence when the turbo is drawing air in at a rapid rate. I was going to remove mine but am thinking twice about it now:confused:

·
Banned
1,026 Posts
Well I took mine off and really didn't notice anything different....whoa is me.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts