Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IS it possible to remove the silencer ring on the 6.7s?

·
Banned
706 Posts
I removed mine. The turbo screams like a banshee now! Thats it! Also at certain rpms (OD 6 sp/man) the engine will seem to have a surge of power, guess cause the VGT. Tell you later about mileage and if dash lights come. But sounds sweet. Theres 3 dowell pins that need to be punched in, make sure that dont enter the turbo though. There a booger to get out to man! Later chris

·
Registered
13,651 Posts
Since there are alot of turbo issues with the 6.7 if you remove the silencer ring you will also be voiding the warranty on the turbo. If you can afford a couple grand for a new turbo go ahead and remove it. Dyno results have show a 25 to 40 HP LOSS when the ring was removed. It is more than just a silencer, it actually helps direct the air into the turbo.

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
Since there are alot of turbo issues with the 6.7 if you remove the silencer ring you will also be voiding the warranty on the turbo. If you can afford a couple grand for a new turbo go ahead and remove it. Dyno results have show a 25 to 40 HP LOSS when the ring was removed. It is more than just a silencer, it actually helps direct the air into the turbo.
Just so you can read it again. ^^^^

·
Banned
885 Posts
That isn't a silencer ring, it's a surge housing.
With a variable turbo and recirc boost it's better for perf to have the surge housing, unless all you do is wide open runs

·
Banned
706 Posts
If they void my turbo warranty than I'll spend 1100 on an JA S300 turbo instead of buying another stock turbo for twice the amount.

·
Registered
13,651 Posts
It will probably be a powertrain warranty void that they will do, not just the turbo.

·
Premium Member
2,623 Posts
I removed it on my first 6.7. Loved the sound but definitely noticed a power difference. I am not going to remove it on this 6.7.

·
Premium Member
8,547 Posts
by chance anyone have one they would want to sell, I broke mine getting it out

·
Banned
706 Posts
I honestly didnt notice a drop in power pulling today. I pulled 27,000 lbs of round bales (17) and the flat bed gooseneck and it was very loud though. How and where did it break at?

·
Registered
209 Posts
DO NOT remove it, my gfs uncle works in the turbo lab at cummins. He gave me a good reason somethin bout direction of air, and to keep the turbo from surging, and mainly to keep it in one piece. he showed me pieces of turbos where the ring was removed, it looked like someone straped a stick of tnt to it.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Ok, is that plastic/foam deal that is in between the air filter and turbo the silencer ring? Or is there something else in the turbo? There's no pins that hold that thing in place.

·
Banned
706 Posts
Mine was a metal chamfered ring pressed in the intake side with an extension toward the compressor turbine

·
Banned
706 Posts
DO NOT remove it, my gfs uncle works in the turbo lab at cummins. He gave me a good reason somethin bout direction of air, and to keep the turbo from surging, and mainly to keep it in one piece. he showed me pieces of turbos where the ring was removed, it looked like someone straped a stick of tnt to it.
Couldnt you just say when the turbo "let go" that all the turbo housing and pieces flew apart even the ring?

·
Banned
706 Posts
Probably going to put mine back in after I finish lathing a slightly different angle on in and polishing it

·
Registered
209 Posts
Couldnt you just say when the turbo "let go" that all the turbo housing and pieces flew apart even the ring?
well there what a shaft, and there what what looked like a compresser housing that someone took a ginder. wasnt pretty.

·
Banned
706 Posts
Oh, a grinder prob was noy the way to go.

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
Alright, I was thinking that plastic/foam deal was the silencer ring because it also directs the airflow and quiets the whistle. Maybe somebody else knows what it's called.
You are referring to the Air Baffle. It can be removed.:thumbsup

1 - 20 of 28 Posts