Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is it and what does it do? What is the benefit of removing it and will it void the warranty?
Thanks

I guess I should ask where it is too

·
Premium Member
25,250 Posts
The silencer ring is in the face of the turbo. You may gain some whistle if removed, that's about it.

Dodge | Commins | Forum

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
What is it and what does it do? What is the benefit of removing it and will it void the warranty?
Thanks

I guess I should ask where it is too
Never heard of someone getting warranty voided for ring mia

·
Registered
205 Posts
A ball breaking dealer might not warranty a turbo related failure because you pulled it out. That's why I put mine in the glove box. When the seals blew out of my turbo I snapped it back in and they broke my stones about the Banks Exhaust Brake instead. They tried to say that they had to return the core with the used outlet elbow or they couldn't do the job {BS ALERT!! BS ALERT!!} I opened the toll box in the bed and handed it to the service writer. They warranted it.
The moral of the story kiddies??? Keep you stock parts handy until you are out of warranty.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
no real hp or tq benefit, did it to mine and the turbo is a little louder.

·
Registered
199 Posts
That thing in the picture over there on the left is a silencer ring and the snap ring that holds it in place. As I understand it, Cummins put it in at Dodge's request solely to quiet the whine. You remove the intake tube from the front end of the turbo and figure out how to remove the snap ring/tension ring and then the silencer should slide right out. Hardest part is getting the snap ring out.

<-------------------------See picture.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts