Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...what is the silencer ring? Where is it located? and what is the benefit of removing It? and how hard is it to remove it? I see many people have them removed was just wanting the skinny on it..:peelout

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
my 00' didnt have one from the start.

·
Registered
393 Posts
It creates a nice turbo whine if you remove it and it's really audible with the BHAF. It can be annoying for the passenger... and the driver too. I think the novelty of it is going to wear off and I'll probably put mine back in again.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
i took it off and it definately made it louder but ring also smooths air going into the turbo. i lost a couple lbs of max boost so it went right back on. its loud enough with it

·
Registered
991 Posts
the effect the ring is supposed to have is higher spooling rpm. the smaller the inlet for the turbo the higher the boost you can make. but at the same time the wider the inlet is the faster the turbo will spool, but it wont spool as fast as with the silencer ring on. i would definatly recommend taking it off

·
Registered
393 Posts
From what I've read, taking it off doesn't have any affect on performance, just noise.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Removing the silensor ring does effect proformance, the ring smoths the inlet air to the turbo. Also and the important part is that the sound waves actually force back the air there was a program that showed fire hoses with a speaker set up that when turned on pushed back the flames. also the noise is a vibration that has a detrumental effect on the compressor wheel, Just like dending a piece of wire, it cristolises and can break

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
Ok...what is the silencer ring? Where is it located? and what is the benefit of removing It? and how hard is it to remove it? I see many people have them removed was just wanting the skinny on it..:peelout
Here is my write up on the silencer ring...

Silencer Ring

·
Registered
213 Posts
Not meaning to hijack the thread but it’s interesting that NONE of the aftermarket turbos I have looked at have a silencer ring as part of the intake. I talked to one of the guys from Diesel Power Source (makers of twins CRE Loaded 6 - Diesel Power Source) and he said the only difference between having the silencer and not having is that without it the stock turbo MIGHT take just a bit longer to spool up. Do you guys suppose a high flow cold air intake would likely compensate for any reduction in (or turbulent flow) in the air stream entering the turbo?

·
Registered
231 Posts
The sound that it makes is caused by air turbulance which limits air flow effecientcy which slighly decreases horsepower and therefore milage slightly. A smooth and unrestricted flow of air is best, so I would recemend leaving it on and just doing a BHAF

·
Registered
203 Posts
Removing the silensor ring does effect proformance, the ring smoths the inlet air to the turbo. Also and the important part is that the sound waves actually force back the air there was a program that showed fire hoses with a speaker set up that when turned on pushed back the flames. also the noise is a vibration that has a detrumental effect on the compressor wheel, Just like dending a piece of wire, it cristolises and can break
why is it that NO turbo I have seen before the ones on this truck have this nonsense???

The sound that it makes is caused by air turbulance which limits air flow effecientcy which slighly decreases horsepower and therefore milage slightly. A smooth and unrestricted flow of air is best, so I would recemend leaving it on and just doing a BHAF

why is it that you can hear the wistle with the silencer ring still on?? sure it is a bit quieter but at approx 150,000 rpms I don't think that the compressor is going to care if the air is coming in smoothly or not... it will just do its job

:thumbsup :beer

·
Registered
231 Posts
The sound you hear anyway is the sound of the impellers spinning through the air which causes turbulance too however it is necessary turbulance. I rather have fewer restictions... If you are talking about the reason a BHAF is louder than stock it is form the box cancelling out the sound as opposed to the open area of the BHAF.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm saying the noise is still there it is just muffled by that ring... The turbulence caused by the compressor wheel is always there there is just a bit less when the ring is on. But the effect of that is so minimal that I haven't seen a turbo fail because of turbulence. They fail because of wear or improper care

If it were necessary that there needed to be a ring to get rid of turbulence then I would think that Industrial Injection, Detroit Diesel, BD and Garrett would really like to know

·
Registered
31 Posts
so if i already have a bhaf, will removing the silencer ring make the turbo whistle louder, or not? as long as it won't hurt anything, i may remove it...i love the turbo whistle.:thumbsup

·
Registered
203 Posts
yes it will make it louder... and no harm

·
Registered
491 Posts
its pretty easy all you do is take off the intake tube connecting to the turbo take a small flat head screwdriver the work your way around it all it does is make the turbo alittle louder then when you get a nice cold air intake it will make it really loud

·
Registered
573 Posts
mine was deffining at first....but now that Im used to it I can't get enough, I love that sound!

·
Registered
138 Posts
I Dont Think It Makes Such A Huge Difference In Power Or Spool Up Time To Worry About It.if You Want A Louder Turbo Take Off But If Not Just Leave It On.i Personally Took Mine Off.its Your Call.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I never said it would FAIL I was just trying to help with effiecentcy. The noise is caused by the way it flows into the turbo. If you look at it there is a recessed area with a raised area right before it enters. The cupped and raised area is what produces turbulance and noise as the air rushes over it, the impellers noise remains CONSTANT. The ring simply FUNNELS the air in istead of the air having to deal with uneven surfaces that causes additional whistling.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts