Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The truck is a 2005 2500 with the 5.9 cummins with 5in. straight pipe and we recently took the silencer ring out of the turbo. I was disappointed by the results it didn't seem to make the turbo any louder. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem or if i did something wrong.

·
EAST TEXAS VP
3,432 Posts
Do you have an aftermarket intake on the truck? Fill out your sig, and let us know what you've got done to the truck. By the way....Welcome to the Forum!!:thumbsup

·
Registered
491 Posts
i herd mine a little more but you wont really hear it alot untill you have a intake

·
Registered
222 Posts
The truck is a 2005 2500 with the 5.9 cummins with 5in. straight pipe and we recently took the silencer ring out of the turbo. I was disappointed by the results it didn't seem to make the turbo any louder. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem or if i did something wrong.
yeah same here I used to have a k&n fipk but I got rid of the pile of crap and now have the stock intake but it was alot louder with the intake

·
Banned
5,591 Posts
Well here's my two cents. When I bought my truck the intake whistle was almost non-existent. The intake was completely stock, or so I thought. After looking around on here and TDR I saw that you could remove the silencer ring on the turbo to get more noise. So, I go out and try it. Oh, it's already gone!

So, next step on the forums is to gut the stock intake tube. Did it, got a bunch more whistle. There is a silencer in the straight portion of the intake tube that really takes out a lot of the sound. That is your next move.

I still use the stock airbox but cut a hole in the bottom and ran a tube to the front of the truck under the bumper. I also dropped in an AFE filter. It sounds great now.

·
Banned
5,591 Posts
You need to take off the intake tube from the turbo on one side and the airbox on the other side. Then, take off the two elbows. You will have the straight piece left and inside it you will see the x shaped silencer thing. There are two ways to get it out but its not as easy for me to explain as it would be for you to do a search for "gutting torque tube" or something like that. You will be much more pleased then with the silencer ring removal alone!

·
Where's my sparkplugs????
1,046 Posts
How do i clean out the intake tube is it like a Converter? and is is hard to do?
Just disconnect the tube from the turbo and intake box and start gutting it. It's pretty self explanatory once you get it off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts