·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do u remove the silencer ring on the Turbo. Can you even do it on a 6.7

·
Registered
295 Posts
yes you can do it. theres 2 ways to do it.

1. remove all of your intake and drill the small pin out on the top of the turbo housing and pry and bend it out. but this tends to damage the housing at the other 2 pins.

2. remove all of the intake and the front side of the turbo housing once you have it off then you can drill out all three pins and slide it out nice and easy. then you can also reinstall the ring or a modified ring like WCC's

i didnt want a ring and didnt take the time to do it correctly so i messed mine up a little. didnt crack the housing or anything and it still preforms correctly, i just cant put mine back in. but thats ok with me.

·
Registered
13,652 Posts
It will mess up your warranty if you still have one. There is no way to put it back in and make it look "factory" If you ever have a turbo problem you can kiss the warranty good-bye.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have had mine out for a couple months now and it sounds great. I have not had any problems except a few barks but I do not think it is not running as efficiently with it removed. The reason I say this is a 1/4 of the impeller is not surrounded anymore with it removed so im sure there is some turbulence at high rpm. I am having a solid piece of aluminum machined to replace the silencer. hopefully that will smooth the air out and keep the turbo noise. I will post pics whenever it gets done. (having a relative do it, you know how that goes)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I took mine out yesterday and I dont know if I did something wrong. It is running like crap! I can start it and with it in park I can push the gas and it starts surging up and down. What do I need to do?

·
Braaap, Braaap, BOOM!!!
6,126 Posts
I took mine out yesterday and I dont know if I did something wrong. It is running like crap! I can start it and with it in park I can push the gas and it starts surging up and down. What do I need to do?
You didn't do nothing wrong. The rings suppose to be in there. It sound Luke cheap garbage with it out. Mine ran like trash with it out. Turbo barked everytime I let off the gas at any position, surged and bucked like crazy aswell. I spent the money and bought a new turbo housing. What a waste if time.

·
glacierdieselpower.com
1,175 Posts
There's a reason that guys are having problems with this mod...

The silencer ring is just the metal face on the compressor inlet and NOT the whole insert. Most guys are removing the whole MWE insert. The MWE insert is needed by the compressor wheel to function properly. Imagine your engine trying to run without piston rings.

The only way (that I am aware of) to correctly remove JUST the metal silencer ring is via maching.

·
Registered
338 Posts
is it that much louder to even mke a dif? and does it add HP. I know when i had my 04.5 when i removed mine is sounded a LITTLE louder and spooled a LITTLE faster. but nothing crazy

·
Registered
13,652 Posts
It does absolutely NOTHING for HP or performance and most have actually said it HURT performance. There was a dyno sheet floating around that showed a 10 HP DECREASE in HP on the 6.7 due to the air not flowing properly

·
glacierdieselpower.com
1,175 Posts
Again, if you remove the whole insert it will hurt turbo performance. If you remove just the sound suppressor you will get is a little more turbo song. Not worth the effort on the 6.7 in my opinion.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts