Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard is it to remove the silencer ring? I have a S&B stage II airbox arriving anytime and thought I might toss the ring while I was at it.

How much difference is there in sound and whistle?

·
Where's my sparkplugs????
1,046 Posts
Turbocharger FAQ That'll pretty much tell you all you need to know including on how to remove it. With the intake you're going to put on and the silencer ring MIA get ready for some whistling.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I just did it the other day it was fairly easy. Theres one end of the ring that has a groove in it thats the end u need to pry on. I got a long skiny screw flat blade screw driver and laid on my back under the truck and pryed it out from underneath it was really easy that way.

·
Registered
93 Posts
What I used was a 90 pick with a sharp tip on it . Use that to get under the snap ring, then a small screwdriver to work it out the rest of the way.

·
Where's my sparkplugs????
1,046 Posts
Yeah, it can be a pain in the butt. Make sure you don't get any little metal shavings in the turbo though!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Took mine out...very easy. But I put it back in the next day.

Details:
When I put my CAI on...it definitely made it whistle more...and I liked it. I took the ring out and it whistled a little more but not much. But what I did notice was the whistle of the whistle!! :rof With the ring out, it sounded more raspy and rough I guess you could call it. With the ring in...to quote someone else, it was a more refined, crisper, cleaner whistle and I liked it much more. So mine was back in!!

But for coming out...just look at it and you will see the beveled out edge which makes it sweet and simple to grab with a small screwdriver. Good luck with it!!

·
Registered
974 Posts
I have it done on both my trucks. Its sounds like the turbo is about to suck my hood in on my 24v. Its scares away ricers:lol3:

·
Registered
11 Posts
took mine out , really liked it till I hooked up my 14,000 lb. fifth wheel that steady whistle got on my nerves after about 20 miles with no break from it I will be putting it back on before I tow it again.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Put it back in after 2 days, the whistle and whooshing noises are very annoying on the highway. Kind of fun around town but gave me a headache as soon as I hit the highway.

Sounds good now with the airbox and ring installed.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
:thud: :lol3: :w:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My leveling kit is supposed to be here today via UPS. Any tips so I don't drop this heavy truck on my head.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Took out my silencer ring when i still had the stock airbox. Not much of a difference at all... just noticed a 1-2lb drop in boost. You dont actually get any more air to the compressor, it just swirls around in there. I think the noise you are noticing is your turbo becoming less efficient. I see everyone bragging about removing theirs, but you need to actually think about what your doing to your turbo. Needless to say i put my silencer ring back in after a test drive.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I just swissed cheeses my air box and whistle was much more noticeable

·
Registered
11 Posts
HEy Hot

doing the same tonight, putting the thing back in... Didnt notice a change in boost, but not enough change in sound to justify pulling it and leaving it out

·
Registered
184 Posts
Nice to see someone else picking power over a slight increase in sound

·
Registered
247 Posts
I pulled my ring out, started driving with my trailer and had to put it back in, it was so loud I got a headache. Oh well. Still whistles good with turbo and the afe.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I puller mine and put it back in the next day. I agree the whistle is much more clean and crisp with it in

1 - 20 of 20 Posts