Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the Diesel Database.com today and stumbled across a article on removing you're silencer ring.. I know this question comes up every week so i figured i'd post the link. Personaly I like mine in, I like being able to hear the wifes nagging ...:doh:

http://dieseldatabase.com/turbo-silencer-ring/

·
Registered
556 Posts
I'm no aerodynamic expert, but judging by the before and after pics on SEANS Link it looks like there would be more turbulence with the ring removed. but that's just a thought

·
Registered
790 Posts
the ring covers the MWE (Map Width Enhancement) which helps control compressor surge. it lowers your flow a bit but makes your compressor map much wider and street friendly.

I'm no aerodynamic expert, but judging by the before and after pics on SEANS Link it looks like there would be more turbulence with the ring removed. but that's just a thought
the only thing the ring does is bounce sound waves to quiet down your turbo, it doesn't restrict HP in or out

It took me about 5 min to take my ring out. I have before and after videos of what the removal sounded like and oh boy, what a difference!
turbo whistle sounds cool for all but 10 minutes, driving in a duramax on a 8hr trip, man it was painful. the damn truck is so quiet and all you hear is the vgt whistle the whole way, over the radio, over our conversations.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will point out They have been wrong before.. and apologized in the next issue. Not that i really care, The amount of horsepower/airflow would be insufficient to me, its more the sound, that makes you think you gained somthing.

·
Registered
608 Posts
My Turbo didn't come with a silencer ring what should I do???? Lol.

·
Registered
790 Posts

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I will point out They have been wrong before.. and apologized in the next issue. Not that i really care, The amount of horsepower/airflow would be insufficient to me, its more the sound, that makes you think you gained somthing.
This seems like more than a typo. :turbo:

My Turbo didn't come with a silencer ring what should I do???? Lol.
Return it! :hehe:

Sweet videos! :thumbsup:

So what if I am?

I challenge you to a dual! (slap)
I don't really care, but sure I guess. :confused013:

·
Registered
900 Posts
^^^They are so wrong, even Diesel World knows there is improved airflow; and it's worth it!

:agree2:

Other than taking the silencer ring out my truck is pretty much stock and I find it much faster and louder now that it doesn't have the silencer ring in it.

Reactions: runit02

·
Registered
790 Posts
:agree2:

Other than taking the silencer ring out my truck is pretty much stock and I find it much faster and louder now that it doesn't have the silencer ring in it.

‪Wet Thud Easy Half Throttle Run‬‏ - YouTube
I guess that silencer ring really helps with low rpm boost cause your truck looks like it's running pretty dirty for stock...

my truck is stock as well, except for all the things I've done to it

Reactions: thetony

·
Registered
900 Posts
I guess that silencer ring really helps with low rpm boost cause your truck looks like it's running pretty dirty for stock...

my truck is stock as well, except for all the things I've done to it
Yeah that's the one draw back of taking the silencer ring out, I notice some lag now. It really picks up from about 2200-5000 rpm though. I do have a couple of other minor modifications that I figure contribute around 15-20 hp but I attribute most of the gains to taking the silencer ring out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well you know those stickers on the back window half to be atleast 5hp gain apiece. So an extra 40hp just from that.

Reactions: Wet_Thud

·
Registered
900 Posts
Well you know those stickers on the back window half to be atleast 5hp gain apiece. So an extra 40hp just from that.
That's my second best mod.

Reactions: thetony

·
Registered
27 Posts
Here I thought your first best mod was the timing. Guess I was wrong.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Maybe it was the chrome moly.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts