Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so every tom,dick and harry on this forum seems to have their turbo silencer ring removed or "MIA" as they like to put it. So I would like to know more. What is it? What does it do? Where is it located? What are the pros/cons of removing it? Is it worth removing , and if so how do I do it? Any advice would be great, pictures even better:thumbsup

Ryan

·
Registered
393 Posts
There are a few threads on this already. But It is what its name is A Ring that Silences the turbo wine. After removing your air intake look in the turbo an right around the edge past the intake fins there will be a C clip looking ring that holds in the Silencer ring. Pull it out along with the silencer an listen to that Tur-bo spool....

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
the general census on a 5.9 is that it does nothing to hurt or improve performance. removing it will just give you more turbo noise.

5.9 with ring

5.9 without ring

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ynot, you da' man brotha! Awesome pics thanks!:thumbsup:beer

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
If you have warranty left on your truck by taking it off you could void the warranty on the Turbo.

·
Registered
981 Posts
does removing the silencer ring affect turbo spool at all. it seems by the pics that the inlet air is no longer diverted directly into the turbo.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
took mine off and its noticable on my 05. now i can actually hear something thats there! makes me floor it more. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts