Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if someone knowledgeable could list me symptoms of bad injectors. I think I'm paranoid, but want to make sure. My only reason for worrying is with my diablo extreme rkl tune, it doesn't produce a lot of black smoke like most trucks do. I'm not sure if bad injectors would cause this lack of smoke. Also there is rattling with tip acceleration is applied on this tune. Am I paranoid or do I have a genuine concern?

Jeff

·
Registered
285 Posts
I believe your mileage would go down and you might have fuel in the oil too.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
141 Posts
hard starts can also be a symptom. You can get fuel in the oil if you have a cracked injector body. Personally ive only experienced a slight knock and a no start situation. I just replaced all six on my truck. If your that paranoid have them tested. I paid $30 a piece to have mine tested and I did the labor myself. If you only have one injector or two starting to leak down symptoms may be minor. They only get worse though. How many miles do you currently have?

Jordan

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,297 Posts
yup i'd keep an eye on the oil level as well if your
driving it at all as the oil level will come up due to
thet leaking injector allowing fuel into the crankcase.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I read a thread saying if you wanna check to see if you have diesel in your oil, you drip a few drops if oil from your dipstick on a newspaper.
After 20 minutes if there is fuel in the oil it will create a halo effect.
A lighter ring around the dark oil spot.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was reading this, I have diesel in my oil and a rough idle. The diesel is filling the crank case quickly while running. Is there any way to narrow down which injector is leaking?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Sometimes you can pull off the valve cover and start the truck, the injection system is under so much pressure you may be able to see a spray or like a light fogging which is a high pressure fuel leak. Tighten all crossover tubes and fuel lines.

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
Will this hard start only happen when the engine is cold, hot, or both?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts