Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my trans rebuilt. Went to pick it up and they had not test driven it yet, I was anxious and took from the shop as soon as they were done. Truck started out in 3rd. Took it back to shop and they replaced the gov pressure solenoid and sensor. Drove great for 1500 miles, same thing happened, came to a stooplight felt truck shift and started out in 3rd. Took it back to shop, replaced solenoid, shifted fine again for around 1500 miles. Same thing happened again, didnt want to drive to the shop to have it done this time and got the part from the shop and did it myself. Dropped the pan put in the new solenoid. Solenoid went in fine although I didnt get the sensor in the holder right, drove truck and it wouldnt leave first. dropped pan again and reinstalled sensor, back to old problem, leaving in first. Took it to a different trans. shop which told me that after doing a pressure test that all parts in the trans. are fine and that the "something in the computer is telling the trans to shift into 3rd" it thinks its on the highway.

What is going on??
Truck is an early 04 with 48re

· Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No real "failure", could just feeling it slipping every now and then. Billet triple disc, Dunrite valve body, Suncoast Xtreme duty rebuild kit, some supposed heavy gov. pressure sensor. At this point it has a stock gov. pressure sensor in it, due to the fact that I thought thats what the problem was.

· Premium Member
3,778 Posts
I'm no tech by far, but I wonder if a wheel speed sensor has anything to do with this? I assume you've talked to Bill about this?

· Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Havent talked to Bill yet. I will give a call tomorrow. It is his VB in there. Not that that is what is wrong. Just an FYI.

· Premium Member
3,778 Posts
Hope He can help with this for ya. I'm gonna have them look at my tranny for a 2-3-2-3-2 shuttle shift under light throttle. His tranny guy (Robert?) was in Italy working with Marco (Smarty) last week. He should be back by now. Good luck!

· Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ive looked into the DTT voltage reg. a lil more tonight and it sounds like that is the fix for me. Goona call Bill tomorrow and see what he has to say. Everyone Ive read about installing that reg. has had the same 3rd gear start out and this seems to take care of it. The new VB is asking for too much pressure and the comp throws the trans into limp mode.

· Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The solenoide is a twenty minute swap. Easy fix.

· MO chapter Vice President
1,482 Posts
Brog&warner make a upgrade solinoid, but the ultamate upgrade is a GM solinoid. But you have to do some modifing for the GM unit to fit. Good Luck!

Sent from my LS670 using AutoGuide.com App

· Premium Member
3,778 Posts
the 2-3-2-3 shuttle shift is a common problem and is due to a bad solenoid, i ahd that same problem on my 06 and that fixed it
That's what I've read too. Bill seems to think otherwise.

The solenoide is a twenty minute swap. Easy fix.
I just haven't gotten around to dropping the pan. No shop and its been chilly.

Brog&warner make a upgrade solinoid, but the ultamate upgrade is a GM solinoid. But you have to do some modifing for the GM unit to fit. Good Luck!
Actually I've read the opposite. The GM unit doesn't last. The new BW units are the ones working. WTF do I know! Lol
DTT tells me it's just a sensor issue, and gave me a new one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.