Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced all steering componets. Drag link, tie rod, track bar. stabilizer bushings, steering box. The track bar is already loose.

So I'm going to put a third gen. adjustable trac bar on, a new Borgeson steering box, Borgeson steering shaft, Maxx links sway bar ends. I hope this is the fix I need.

I just replaced the brake pads in front because I have an awful rattle on dirt roads that goes away when I apply the brakes. That did a little good. There is something else going on.

So I just have one question. Which 3rd gen. track bar would you out there recommend as the best?

Thanks for any input from the above.

·
Registered
11,476 Posts
You might also look at Lukes links. I have read that they allow you to repair some of your front end parts for a lot less money. They just replace the worn out ends not the whole bar. A search would show more about them.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Hell bent steels leverler completer kit is nice.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't want to go the Luke's Link route. I've done it before and I think it's a weak link. I'm going with either the BD 3rd gen. bar or the DSS 3rd gen bar.

The DSS requires no drilling.

·
Registered
124 Posts
You won't be sorry!
I just put a borgeson box and shaft on mine, the rest of the front end was tight, but I still had wicked slop in the steering, now it steers like it should, nice and tight, maybe 1/2 inch of play in the steering, less turns...well worth it in my opinion. I also installed the Hellbent 2inch kit...changes the whole attitude of the truck...solid kit, easy to install and a world of difference!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Just a side note, when I did my steering box, the power steering lines were rusted so bad that both tore apart at the fitting when I went to remove them, then I had to do a mad scramble to find replacements, if yours look rusted at the steering box you should consider picking up new lines before starting the project.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for that tip. I hate when you get into something and run into problems like that. Do you need to prime or bleed your P steering pump?

Anyone want to chime in on a track bar? BD or DSS?

Thanks.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thanks for that tip. I hate when you get into something and run into problems like that. Do you need to prime or bleed your P steering pump?
Not really but sort of, first after everything is hooked up, fill your ps reservoir and put the cap back on, then jack up the front axle to take the weight off of the tires, then jump in the cab and rotate the steering wheel (do not start truck) from stop to stop several times, then refill the reservoir again, then start it up and do the same thing a few times, shut it off, refill the reservoir and repeat until the reservoir is staying full, then take it out for a drive and check the reservoir again after driving a few miles...mine cleared the air quickly, only one refill without engine running, only one refill after running engine, and one refill after driving and it has stayed full since.

I did not "pre-fill" the steering box, I just stabbed it in and put the new lines to it, the system was dry when I started.

Sorry I don't have any experience with track bars...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.