Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Smells like Bananas
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today i had enough. Those SOB are just too loud for how much i am on the road. I was going to put Toyo Open A/t's on but i was not going to wait two or more weeks for them. So i went with Nitto Terra Grappler 305.55.R20(33x12.6x20). $1161 shipped to the door, plus i will have to pay $12 a tire for mounting and balancing. I got them on rimzoneonline.com So give me yalls opinion, are they a good tire and was that a good price.

Monday i will have some slightly used Nitto Mud Grapplers 33x12.5x20 for sale. They have about 15,000 miles on them. i think you can easylie get another 10,000 to 12,000 miles out of them. $500 for them, i paid 1350 for them through discount

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,059 Posts
I am curious too about those tires.

·
Where's my sparkplugs????
1,046 Posts
Not sure about that exact tire but I know on my last truck I had BF M/T's and got sick and tired of noise so on this one I got the Nitto A/T's and man are they waaay quieter!

·
Registered
942 Posts
you'll love them great tire

·
Banned
275 Posts
So here's the DL on them, TOYO and NITTO are sister companies...the Terra Grappler and the Open Country A/T are the same tire with a little different tread...the m/t's are different from the Mud Grappler though. You will like the Terra Grappler a lot...Im not a big Fan of A/T's, I only run offroad tires, but the NITTOs are smooth, quiet, wear well, and balance very easily. You won't be disappointed

·
Registered
235 Posts
I ran Terra Grapplers for many years, and have nothing bad to say about them. Many people put them down, but probably ran "D" rated tires instead of "E". There are some other differences between the Toyo and Nitto AT's. The "E" rated 10ply Toyo's are available with 3ply sidewalls. A tech/rep from Nitto said that all Terra Grapplers are 2ply sidewall including their "E" rated tires. However, the new "E" rated sizes use the same technology that is used in the Dura Grappler, and Dune Grappler.

I ran the 295's which are "D" rated, but carry 3415lbs per tire. I pulled a very heavy trailer with them and never had any problems. You should be fine as long as they are rated to carry 3195lbs or more per tire. They are incredibly quiet, and get really good traction in the rain, sand, and loose gravel. I averaged 40,000 miles or so on each set. I'm pretty lazy with rotations, so I maybe could have gotten another 10,000 if I rotated them more frequently.

Hope this helps!:beer

·
EAST TEXAS VP
3,435 Posts
Congrats on the new tires, and getting rid of the Mud Grapplers. They look good, but suck on the road, and I am sure you will be much happier with the new tires.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have 285/70/17 "E" rated Terra Grapplers on my truck.

They have excellent snow/wet traction and run quiet and smooth.

The tread life sucks and if they get within 10' of a nail,they go flat.

I've got 16k on them now and am hoping to get to 20-21k. I've had 3 flats in under a year.

I went with them because I tow a 33' fifth wheel and wanted an "E" rated 285. Not much choice in that load range and size.

I definately won't drop another $1000 on a set.

·
Registered
450 Posts
The Nitto terras ROCK........!!!!

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,443 Posts
i ran goodyear mt/r's on my jeep for a year or so. ended up buying a set of bfg a/t's to run on the road and i switched em out when going on a trail trip cuz the mt/r's were so loud. awesome tire though, loved those goodyears in moab !

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I ran the Nitto TG's on my gasser for a few years (just sold it!!). They were great considering I went from the MT Baja Claws. They are very quiet and smooth!!! I'm going to get my first CTD Tomorrow :hyper: !!! I already ordered MT Baja ATZ's 285/70/17 for it just to see how well they do compared to the Nittos. As far as the price, I believe Discount Tire is around the price you paid for them.

·
Registered
492 Posts
i have those tires and i love them they do alout better in the dirt mud and wet grass then i thought to and the were really good and they ride really really nice good luck with yours

·
Smells like Bananas
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ran the Nitto TG's on my gasser for a few years (just sold it!!). They were great considering I went from the MT Baja Claws. They are very quiet and smooth!!! I'm going to get my first CTD Tomorrow :hyper: !!! I already ordered MT Baja ATZ's 285/70/17 for it just to see how well they do compared to the Nittos. As far as the price, I believe Discount Tire is around the price you paid for them.
i really dig the Baja ATZ but i was told at 4 wheel parts that they are loud. But then again most of the guys that work the counter at 4 Wheel Parts are city/frat boys. what they hell do they know.

Those where my first choice.

I dont know how most of yall feel but Goodyear is the one tire i will not put on my truck, free or not. They are just too thin. They have to be the worst tire on the market. I dont mean to offend anybody i just always had bad luck with every set that i had.

·
Registered
331 Posts
To those running the mud grapplers, how is the ride and handling? I have never been one to mind road noise, hell if they would last I would run a bogger or a TSL. Guess I just like the sound of a swamper:hyper:. Just curious as to how the mud grappler rides compared to an all-terain.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I've had good luck so far with the terras. I've got 8000 miles on them and they seem pretty good. I paid 900 mounted and balanced for 285 17's. As far as the goodyear tires go I had a set of workhorses on my '00. I wish I could find 'em again. I got 72,000 miles of burnouts, hauling HEAVY loads and tons of off road time. Great traction and highway manners as well. Those were a 265/16. I think I remember only paying about 600 bucks for them also. Man, what happened to the good old days?!!!

·
Registered
788 Posts
I'd buy your tires in a heart beat if they were 16" rims. I'm not a fan of Nitto and would much rather get the Toyos, but Given the fact its over a grand for a new set, i just get used ones each time. I mainly wanted to comment on how much i love and like your Avatar and sig. Can you send me a button and a sticker like those? Or tell me where to get one? not many stickers will ever see my truck but i'd make an exception for those. lol

·
Smells like Bananas
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'd buy your tires in a heart beat if they were 16" rims. I'm not a fan of Nitto and would much rather get the Toyos, but Given the fact its over a grand for a new set, i just get used ones each time. I mainly wanted to comment on how much i love and like your Avatar and sig. Can you send me a button and a sticker like those? Or tell me where to get one? not many stickers will ever see my truck but i'd make an exception for those. lol
i wish i could find those stickers too. it was from a email that i got. i have a few more that are pretty good

1 - 19 of 19 Posts