Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
97 12 valve son's truck, from 1st to 2nd there is a felt 2 shutter bump before 2nd gear , ideas?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm thinking possibly pressure plate is getting weak or clutch disk is getting a little worn. A shutter can also indicate too quick engagement of the clutch. At what RPM & throttle usage does this occur? Mine has a clutch shake (shakes whole truck) around 1050-1150 rpm when going slow/cruising with light throttle through town in high gear (10mph in 2nd, 20-23mph in 3rd, 30-33mph in 4th, 40-43 mph in 5th. It goes away with more throttle or when decelerating and only occurs at the specific RPM/speed mentioned. A friend of mine seems to think that some broken clutch springs cause this on the stock clutch because this shutter goes away when the clutch is depressed.

·
Registered
105 Posts
J, my bad its a auto, and only does it 1st to 2nd
Sounds like one of the clutch disks in the auto trans may be slipping. Does the truck still have stock power, or has it been modified for more power? Stock=slow acceleration and only a little smoke upon full-throttle acceleration. Modified power (with bigger injectors &/or delivery valves)= decent power & acceleration with some visible smoke. If bigger injectors were installed and it has decent power and blows some smoke, the auto trans is on its way out. Find a really good auto trans shop, attempt to rebuild yourself, or do an NV4500/5600 swap. (You can find parts for an NV4500 swap for $3000-4000 and install the best possible clutch you can afford, like a dual disk 750-850hp for $1,100-1,200, just in case you get power-hungry.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts