Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 12v that the solenoid keeps jumping either forward or backward and causing the truck to lose all power, it does this everytime its started and it will not stay straight. anyone know what the problem could be? it started doing this under a heavy load and it does not have the rubber boot on it either

·
Registered
556 Posts
What do you mean by jumping forward and backwards? The only motion its intended to go is up and down. Does the truck stall, or just lose power? The solenoid is a very simple device. An iron pin surrounded by a cylinder that gets pulled up by an electromagnet is all it is.

Make sure all your bolts are tight. There are 2 that hold the solenoid to the bracket, 3 that hold the bracket to the engine, a cotter pin that holds the solenoid to the shutoff arm (on the motor), and 2 bolts on the shutoff arm.

If these are tight, than measure the distance from the bottom of the solenoid (where the cotter pin is) to the bottom of the bracket. Make sure you do this when the solenoid is in the up position. You can do this by turning the key to the "on" position without cranking the stater then go under the hood and lift the solenoid, it should stay up.

If that is correct, check the voltage at the 3 prong connector to the solenoid. There's a ground(black), a pull(red), and a hold(green or white) circuit. There should be 12v at the hold circuit when the key is on. The pull is higher v and only when the starer is engaged.

If you have good voltage than either lookup a shutoff cable setup, or buy a new solenoid for $88 from Lary B.

·
Registered
557 Posts
First thing you might try is cleaning up the inside of the solenoid. With no boot on it, it's very likely that its full of crud. I've never taken one apart, but everyone says that it's very simple to take apart and clean. It's free to do, so I would start there if I were you!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i took it off today and cleaned on it and reinstalled it and it is working like it should but the pin on the bottom that hookks into the side of the block wiggled very freely it stayed in it but it would move around a lot. i didnt know if it was broke??? but its starting and running fine now but i will probably just end up putting in a new solenoid

·
Registered
348 Posts
Id like to correct a statement above about the pull voltage for the solenoid is higher than hold position, the voltage is the same but the pull coil drags more amps than the hold coil... 30-40 amps vs 0.5-1 I think

1 - 6 of 6 Posts