Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I accelerate from a dead stop, I get a slight "shudder" til about 5 mph. Feels like it might be the the driveline loading up. Only occurs when pulling a trailer (4K min, unloaded to 12K). Any one else have this problem, and what's the fix? Sorry about the double post..

·
Registered
13,651 Posts
Torque converter shudder. Its common.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
I noticed mine does the same thing if I try to take off too hard while towing. Taking off a bit slower makes it go away.....

·
Registered
19 Posts
When I Was Bs Ing With The Dodge Service Rep. A Few Months Back He Brought Up The Subject Of That Shuttering And Said It Was A Drive Shaft Problem And They Had A Fix For It. Not A Problem With The Older 07 S. You Might Want To Check It Out With Your Dealer.

·
Registered
105 Posts
When I added a 2" lift block in the rear it did it everytime I took off from a dead stop no matter how much or how little throttle. I removed the blocks and it's gone 90%. I think I'm just more sensitive to it now. I talked to several drive shaft shops and others and they all agreed it was axle wrap.

I have wondered if it is my TCC. Since I have been running the higher tunes and playing around I just think it could be the tranny. Or I might just be more sensitive to it since I removed the lift and looking for it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
It is a rear suspension angle issue. Dodge has a fix for it. They basically install wedges to rotate the axle slightly to dial in the axle geometry. It is extremely common and mine has done it from day 1. At 111,000 miles it still does it and probably always will. I just didn't trust the dealer to not screw it up and make it worse than it is now. I just take off slowly under most circumstances to avoid tearing anything up.

·
Registered
13,651 Posts
All of my 2 wheel drive duallies have done it under load so its not an angle issue. Its the TC.

·
Banned
885 Posts
I doubt it is the TC, and would bet it is the pinion angle.

If it was the tc as you believe, it would happen everytime you get back into the gas, as the tc is now back at that low rpm and starting off again...

·
Registered
13,651 Posts
Pinion angle on a 2 wheel drive with an 18K trailer on the back? It does it under heavy load and it is the TC, you can take that to the bank.

·
Banned
885 Posts
You don't have a pinion on that dually? I gotta see the rear in your truck then

Answer the question i posted toward your comment...

Does your non pinion geared equipted dually have the shuder each and everytime you get back in the gas at ANY speed or only at slow and off dead and somewhat dead stop movement?

·
Registered
131 Posts
All of my 2 wheel drive duallies have done it under load so its not an angle issue. Its the TC.
Exactly what difference does 2wd and 4wd make on the rear axle pinion angle? This is an extremely well documented issue with 3rd gen Dodge trucks. My shudder has NOTHING to do with the torque converter. Dodge issued a TSB explaining the issue and the fix. They wedge the rear axle to adjust the REAR pinion angle to eliminate the shudder. You can take THAT to the bank. :butt:

·
Registered
13,651 Posts
I have no pinion angle. A 4x4 sits 4 or 5 inches higher than a 2x4. Mine only does it with my trailer hooked and if I get on the throttle too hard. It has done it on my last three auto CTD's

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
I have no pinion angle. A 4x4 sits 4 or 5 inches higher than a 2x4. Mine only does it with my trailer hooked and if I get on the throttle too hard. It has done it on my last three auto CTD's
this is funny the pinion angle is the angle of the pinion in the axle. when you put weight or accelerate it will cause the axle to torque down wards if your going forward causeing the angle of the pinion to drop making the angle of the u joint to extreme which causes the shudder adn if you get to much angle in the u joint it will break either the u joint or yoke. same with my yj jeep i swapped in a ford 8.8 axle and if i had some weight in the rear or when i would accelerate it woudl start to vibrate and one time i took off really quick causign it to shear the yoke because of the axle wraping forward then the u joint binding. solution was a 4 degree axle shim. to get the right pinion angle. soryy bout the long post but hopefully informed in a good way. oh and the jeep was a manual also.

·
Registered
131 Posts
If you have no pinion angle, then you have no axles in your truck. If that is the case, you have bigger issues than a shudder. :rof

The pinion angle is the angle between the differential and the driveshaft. If you take a truck in for a driveline shudder, the tech is going to measure that angle. Then they will determine the correct size wedge to install to rotate the axle to adjust that angle. To do that on my Jeep, I just adjust the control arm lengths. :$:

The reason you experience a different shudder with different loads is because as the suspension sags under the increased weight, the pinion angle changes. If you have a good tech, they can adjust the angle to be correct under full load, some load, or no load depending on how you use your truck. They just need to add weight to the truck to get the suspension to squat to your normal load level, then measure and adjust at that weight.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
I agree:thumbsup
If you have no pinion angle, then you have no axles in your truck. If that is the case, you have bigger issues than a shudder. :rof

The pinion angle is the angle between the differential and the driveshaft. If you take a truck in for a driveline shudder, the tech is going to measure that angle. Then they will determine the correct size wedge to install to rotate the axle to adjust that angle. To do that on my Jeep, I just adjust the control arm lengths. :$:

The reason you experience a different shudder with different loads is because as the suspension sags under the increased weight, the pinion angle changes. If you have a good tech, they can adjust the angle to be correct under full load, some load, or no load depending on how you use your truck. They just need to add weight to the truck to get the suspension to squat to your normal load level, then measure and adjust at that weight.

·
Banned
885 Posts

Trust me you have a pinion angle problem, it's not the end of the world, but the trans is not the issue.

Anything with a rear end of the type using a pinion gear on a ring gear has a angle of attack that can aid/ruin a few different things.

If it was infact your trans shuddering it would do it at any speed everytime you got back into it

·
Banned
885 Posts
The reason you experience a different shudder with different loads is because as the suspension sags under the increased weight, the pinion angle changes.
The reason is more so the increased resistance, giving it more leverage to make it worse.

·
Registered
13,651 Posts
You guys believe what you want, I already KNOW what it is.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts