Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had this problem acouple times know and need your opinions, the last 3/4 or so of my bottle is just air, 2 places I have had fill them up have done this. Shouldnt it be just nos and no air in the bottles, and one more questions I have a 10 pound bottle but according to the scale the guy put 14 pounds in it, is this possible, or am I just getting pissed off for no reason, nos aint cheap so I dont want to get ripped, thanks in advance

·
Registered
322 Posts
the weight issue couldnt tell you it should hold just 10lbs. the air thing this is true the last .25 of your bottle will most likely be air/nos mixture. you wont have enough nos to make your bottle pressure high so you will have just air.

·
Premium Member
8,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what I was almost thinking but on my snowmobile it doesnt do that it is nitrous the whole way but thats only a 2.5 pound bottle and it depended on where I got it filled

·
Registered
322 Posts
also some people screw up by just having there botrtle turned the wrong way. they all have siphon tubes that are angled in the bottom of the cylinder.

·
Premium Member
8,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am using mine for dynoing only and it it tilted so the tube is at the bottom

·
Registered
541 Posts
wow, I didnt know that. I thought air in the bottle would be a BIG no no. I figured that was why people purge at the line, to make sure there was no air getting injected. Learn something new every day!

·
Registered
72 Posts
If there was no vapor to make pressure the nitrous wouldnt come out, so when its running out your gonna get vapor.

·
Banned
1,748 Posts
they probably didn't chill the bottle long enough before they filled it.... my friend would chill them overnight in a freezer before he would fill them

·
Registered
457 Posts
wow, I didnt know that. I thought air in the bottle would be a BIG no no. I figured that was why people purge at the line, to make sure there was no air getting injected. Learn something new every day!
they purge to get the warm(er) nitrous out of the lines so that fresh cold nitrous is injected...

·
Registered
457 Posts
That makes NO sense. Why do people use a bottle warmer than?
bottle warmer is there to keep the temperature IN THE BOTTLE up so that you have steady pressure. when the nitrous goes from liquid to gas, it gets very cold as in your a/c. you want the nitrous as cold as possible during injection.

·
Registered
86 Posts
they purge to get the warm(er) nitrous out of the lines so that fresh cold nitrous is injected...
lol ok, i guess it has nothing to do with purging the air from the line so you dont have that split second of a rich mixture in whatever system your running...

when the nitrous goes from liquid to gas, it gets very cold. you want the nitrous as cold as possible during injection.
where does that change of state take place? at the nozzle after the purge and or injection solenoid, so nitrous temp does not change from the bottle to the solenoid...

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Right on...

1) Nitrous bottles have air left in them to control pressure fluctuations due to temperature fluctuations and to avoid blowing a pressure relief disc (usually about 3000 psi).
2) You purge the lines to get liquid nitrous to the solenoids hence the pickup tube in the bottle.
3) Bottle heaters are used to maintain a constant (usually around 900-950 psi) bottle pressure to have consistent pressure at the solenoids.

·
Registered
322 Posts
you purge the line to make sure there is no air in the line. Also to get fresh nitrous to the selinoid. As long as you have a good bottle poressure you really dont have to purg it... also some pewople that run theres in there beds purge to keep the bottle from going over 1000psi to much pressure is as bad as not enough.. prime spraying is at 900-950 I believe... and trust me it is night and day from like 700 to like 950psi.

·
Banned
1,748 Posts
dude, nitrous BOILS at something like -128*F (changes from liquid to gas), and so a lot of pressure is required to keep it in a liquid form. Nitrous goes from ~900psi to 14.7psi when it exits the solinoid, and turns to gas. Nitrous breaks down at around 512*F into Nitrogen (more boom) and oxygen (more, well, air... lol). That is why all the dumb little import boys blow their motors: it severly leans out an engine and they rarely compensate for that. But since its the opposite with us diesels, it isnt as harmful to the engine.
that was "just a little FF, fun fact....The Day: Wednesday...." lol :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
To touch on the 14 lb issue, if it hasn't already been said. It is probably the weight of the 10lbs of nos + weight of the bottle. I know where I get mine filled they usually put an empty weight and a full weight on the sticker.

·
Banned
1,748 Posts
yea, most bottles that are "10lb" tanks weigh, themselves, anywhere from 14 to 16lbs. 10lbs refers to the weight of the liquid nitrous

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Vanilla gorilla is right on!

And yes a full 10 lb bottle wieghts in at 24 lbs I have seen some up to 25 but force filled by heating the filling bottle and iceing down the filled bottle.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts