Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck has a completely stock drivetrain...15K on it, nothing but ULSD from day one. This looks like soot to me, but I thought this truck was supposed to be completly soot free?

Any ideas? I wonder if my DPF is cracked.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
That looks pretty clean compared to others I've seen. The DPF won't burn off 100% of the soot. Some will get through.

·
Registered
388 Posts
i would have them check it out, ive seen a 07.5 with 18k and it had no soot left over

·
Registered
838 Posts
mine was clean all up untill about 16-18k... pretty sure my dpf was cracked though, there for about a week it smoked like an old 12 valve

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Thats not bad at all.....mine will even get a little on my bumper like my 5.9 does.....maybe my dpf is cracked too lol...doubt it....but they are a diesel....they will smoke.

·
Registered
336 Posts
i have 30k on mine and its still clean lookin

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,059 Posts
It should be clean. If it is not then you have something wrong with the DPF like a cracked one.

·
Registered
213 Posts
tailpipe

there is nothing wrong with it mine looks the same i have 15000+ on my 2007.5

·
Registered
993 Posts
Our 08 with 18k is as clean as the day it was new.

·
Registered
228 Posts
my 08 has 7k and its as clean as the day it was new

·
Registered
151 Posts
its suppose to be clean. Something is going on with your dpf. Have you had any cel or any of the problems people are experiencing with the dpf. If you haven't had any problems other than the sooty pipe ,do you do allot of highway driving. I was wondering this because your dpf being defective or cracked could be duplicated if it helps. lol

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mostly city driving with the occaisional highway trip. No DPF problems yet, but just threw the p2000 code a couple days ago. My tailpipe has been that color since about 5k or so. Of course I often turn it off while it's trying to regen...exhaust popping and cracking from the heat. I'll be taking it in for the p2000 on Wednesday, so I'll have them check the whole thing out, get it updated to the latest AX flash with the OHC update, etc.

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
Better watch out, the EPA might get ya for having that much soot in your tailpipe

·
Registered
160 Posts
Over 13K on mine too and it's clean. And when I say clean I mean I can swipe around the inside of the tailpipe and there's absolutely nothing on my finger.

Looks like you're heading to the dealership for some warranty work.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Mine is pitch black on the inside of the tailpipe, and will puff some pretty good smoke when shifting, especially when pulling my equipment. I think that the warranty is for 50k so about 48k it is going in to have a look at, it is still runnin and no codes so I figure go with it. Hopefully by the time I get to that point I will have a dpf delete off road kit and run it instead.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mine is just short of 10,000 and I have a little rust or tarnish on the tip of the pipe...not soot. I have mostly highway miles. I'm a little confused as to the regen process. I've never seen a message, heard the "ding" or experienced elevated rpm's unless my foot is in it.

Is it happening and I just don't know it?

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,059 Posts
If you havent seen anything then it is happening normal as it should. It really should never get to the point where it pops up on the overhead, though that is not the case for some.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok...info from the dealership.

I had two P2000 codes...dude looked up a TSB, cleaned my O2 sensors, reflashed the PCM (even though I already had AX) and installed some kind of kit....not sure what that is, but I had G 30 done in January. They said that was the cause of the dirty tailpipe.

Also, on another note, those of you who reported a loud metallic screech off the front right of the engine about 30 sec after start up should get your A/C lines checked. I was low on refrigerant and had a cracked line. Apparently a new drier is required as well as a new AC line, but the line is backordered nationally. There was a seperate post about this somewhere else, but I can't find it now.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts