Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should i use a 5.9l air filter or get an intake?
Anyone know of any negatives to using a 5.9l filter in a 6.7?
Are there any good drop in style replacement filters that are worth the money?
Should i just buckup for a whole intake system?

I just want a little more MPG...

·
Registered
152 Posts
So far from what I've read on this forum, it doesn't matter whether you buy a complete performance intake or just use a 5.9 filter, no one is seeing much if any improvement in their MPG.

If all you want to do is hear the turbo whine, remove the baffles from the stock air tube.

If you are going to add performance exhaust and other HP modifications, then you should go ahead and get a new performance intake system. By itself it won't do much for MPG but it will allow the engine to breath better and get the full benefit of the high flow exhaust, etc.

·
Registered
167 Posts
If a complete intake system won’t make any difference in a stock truck then do you really need one for just a lightly modified truck? At $300+ intake systems aren’t exactly cheap, especially not for an upgrade with no noticeable improvement in either fuel mileage or performance.

It seems like the stock air filter will flow more than enough air for a stock engine, which is why intake systems don’t show any improvement. Now modified high horsepower engines need more air, possibly more than the stock intake will supply, but rather then replacing the entire intake system has anyone tried just an aftermarket filter? Something along the lines of this:

aFe Super Stock IRF Air Filter

Personally all I want is improved MPG, more power would be nice, but it’s secondary. I’m thinking of just doing an MP-8 and code free DPF delete when it comes out with analogy gauges.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have the AFE super stock dry tec. I also modified my airbox. I cut a 4" hole in the bottom and ran a 4" drain pipe under the engine compartment.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I have the AFE super stock dry tec. I also modified my airbox. I cut a 4" hole in the bottom and ran a 4" drain pipe under the engine compartment.
Doesn't that encourage you to suck up water? If you drive through a deep puddle you could turn your engine into a pump.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The pipe tucks in behind my bumper. I don't get in any deep water with it. Strictly a highway truck.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Doesn't that encourage you to suck up water? If you drive through a deep puddle you could turn your engine into a pump.
I don’t think the truck could build up enough pressure to suck water up a 4 inch pipe unless the stock air intake was also plugged up.

How well does it work and what air filter are you using?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I don’t think the truck could build up enough pressure to suck water up a 4 inch pipe unless the stock air intake was also plugged up.

How well does it work and what air filter are you using?
AFE superstock drytec air filter

·
Registered
167 Posts
AFE superstock drytec air filter
Ok, I must be a little slow today because I just realized you said that already. :w:

Can you give me some idea how well it is working for you? Do you think it works as well as a intake system or was it a waste of time?

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
I just put a stock 5.9l air filter in mine after reading posts of some guys seeing a 1-2 mpg increase with it versus the mammoth stock 6.7 filter. I just did it this morning and it's too soon to tell for sure but my overhead did jump up a bit today.......

·
Registered
147 Posts
I tried the stock 5.9 filter and it does NOT flow as well as the stock 6.7 filter. The 6.7 filter is thicker, but it has more surface area for air to flow through. I had an air raid cai, but after reading all the negative comments on the oiled air filters, I decided to go a different route. I think this setup works as well as the air raid I had, plus no oiling the filter. How much engine compartment heat can a that little sheild really keep out.

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
Should i use a 5.9l air filter or get an intake?
Anyone know of any negatives to using a 5.9l filter in a 6.7?
Are there any good drop in style replacement filters that are worth the money?
Should i just buckup for a whole intake system?

I just want a little more MPG...
In case you were short on choices for a 6.7 intake, ICEBOX (one of our sponsors) makes a 6.7 intake.

-Chuck

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I tried the stock 5.9 filter and it does NOT flow as well as the stock 6.7 filter. The 6.7 filter is thicker, but it has more surface area for air to flow through. I had an air raid cai, but after reading all the negative comments on the oiled air filters, I decided to go a different route. I think this setup works as well as the air raid I had, plus no oiling the filter. How much engine compartment heat can a that little sheild really keep out.
So you are saying it flows less than stock filter? Now i'm confused...LOL...Maybe the answer is just a drop in filter? Or staying stock? I'm keeping the motor stock...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just put a stock 5.9l air filter in mine after reading posts of some guys seeing a 1-2 mpg increase with it versus the mammoth stock 6.7 filter. I just did it this morning and it's too soon to tell for sure but my overhead did jump up a bit today.......
Please let us know your results!!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I built my own air intake with 20$ worth of plumbing parts and a 40$ amsoil filter.
2- 90deg 4"elbow
1-45deg 4"elbow
little bit of 4"pipe
1 4" rubber something connector
and some gold paint

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
I just don't see how the 6.7 filter could flow as well as a 5.9 filter that has so much less material to flow through. I will definitely post my results after a week. Anything is worth a try when fuel costs so much...

·
Registered
147 Posts
I just don't see how the 6.7 filter could flow as well as a 5.9 filter that has so much less material to flow through. I will definitely post my results after a week. Anything is worth a try when fuel costs so much...
The paper element in the filter is like an accordion, the thicker the filter the more surface area there is for air to pass through. I tried both and my egt's were higher with the stock 5.9 filter.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I put in the 5.9 and pulled the baffle, and have seen about .5-1 mpg, but that's only been over a short time. It could have just been a temporary jump from some highway driving.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
After 2 days with the stock 5.9 filter my mileage looks like it may have dropped slightly. Wally1969 may just be right. I am going to run this tank of fuel through the truck and see how it looks after a couple hundred more miles... My next choice will be an AFE Super Stock dry drop-in replacement filter.....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts