Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 04 Dodge 3500, srw, quad cab, lwb, with 76,000 miles. I like would like to have a new truck, but I'm worried about the emissions problems.

Thanks!

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have a 04 Dodge 3500, srw, quad cab, lwb, with 76,000 miles. I like would like to have a new truck, but I'm worried about the emissions problems.

Thanks!
i traded an 04 for my 07.5 and love it . i haven't had any problems with mine . it is stock and always had cj-4 oil and ultra low sulfur fuel . that is the main thing to watch out for . the transmissions in the new trucks are worlds better than the older ones . i'm almost at 10k miles .

·
Banned
393 Posts
Im not wanting to offend anyone, but im very parcial to my 5.9. I had a 04 as well, and put lots of miles on her. When i heard that dodge no longer had 5.9's, i put out a mad search with the dealerships to get me one before they were obsolete. I bought the last one within 800 miles. Before i made the comitment to have it shipped over, i tested out the 6.7 for a weekend. Although it had tons of power, i didnt care for the mileage. Like i said though, i dont want to offend any 6.7 guys...i just like the 5.9, myself.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
You will like the truck but Yes, be prepared for the crappy mileage.....

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
Totally a personal call. Given how nice interest rates look now it is tough to say no some of the deals that dealers are offering. I love my 04.5 but the idea of a 6.7 does seem nice. On the flip side the 6.7 is a thirsty motor...best of luck

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,447 Posts
im fairly new to owning my truck, but from what i've read, im pretty happy with the 5.9 and no emmsions issues. im also happy with the mgp so dont see any reason to trade up right now. love my 04.5 ! AND its paid for, so.. cant really argue with that either.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
5.9 :thumbsup

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,059 Posts
I went from an 04.5 to the 07.5. Wouldnt go back. I am getting about the same mileage as i did with the other one. Got way more power in this one though. (Stock vs Stock)

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
If you want to get a new one, buy it, wait until you know its not a lemon, then get the DPF Delete and start modding!!!

·
Diesel Junkie
5,830 Posts
I think the 6.7 has been out long enough now.....I wouldn't be afraid of trading......except I can't afford it right now......lol

·
Registered
368 Posts
Im not wanting to offend anyone, but im very parcial to my 5.9. I had a 04 as well, and put lots of miles on her. When i heard that dodge no longer had 5.9's, i put out a mad search with the dealerships to get me one before they were obsolete. I bought the last one within 800 miles. Before i made the comitment to have it shipped over, i tested out the 6.7 for a weekend. Although it had tons of power, i didnt care for the mileage. Like i said though, i dont want to offend any 6.7 guys...i just like the 5.9, myself.
my 6.7 gets about the same mileage as tha 04 i had did .

·
Registered
460 Posts
Hey pls...you're about to get to 100k on that bad boy and you want to get rid of it? The 5.9 don't come alive til after the 1st 100k. :thumbsup I started with the 04.5 and traded it after 85k and yup...still breaking in the 06 :thud:.

Besides that, here's some more things to think about:
Higher plates for the next 3 years
Possible increase in insurance rates
Payments for another 5+ years unless you're loaded.
Combined with today's fuel prices....

:$::$::$::$::$::$:

Got my mind on my money and my money on my mind....

Just send me 10k and we'll call it a night :rof

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the response.

I like my 04, I know the Cummins has alot of life left in it, it's the transmission that concerns me. If it was paid for I would not worry, but with what I owe on it, and the possibility of a new transmission, I'm thinking it may be better to have a new truck with a full warranty.

Btw, I use this truck in my business, so I depend on it ever day, I can't afford down time.

My last truck I keep 12 years, it was a ford 1/2 ton with a straight 6, and it worked hard pulling a trailer day in and day out. I was hoping to get aleast that many years out of my 04.

With all things considered I think it's time to get a new truck. I have already gotten pre approval at the credit union for 4.75%, so unless someone talks me out of it I guess I'll get a 08 6.7.

Thanks again, I still need some :help making my decision.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Get it, You'll love it. I know I do!

·
Registered
153 Posts
depends on your situation ... I really like our 2008 6.7 ... and fixing up the 99 to keep for another 9 years hopefully. New tranny cheaper than a new rig ... just do whatever you want ... that's why we go to work in the morning

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Transmission rebuild is way cheaper than making 700 dollar a month payments for 84 months!
If a new truck is going to cost that much I'll just keep my 04. I may just do that anyway kinda getting cold feet about the whole deal.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
If a new truck is going to cost that much I'll just keep my 04. I may just do that anyway kinda getting cold feet about the whole deal.
If your willing to do a tranny, I'd say do that. But if you don't, go for the 08!!! I don't think you'd regret it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I love my 04.5, don't care for the new ones as much, keep the 04 and be money ahead!

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Thanks for the response.

I like my 04, I know the Cummins has alot of life left in it, it's the transmission that concerns me. If it was paid for I would not worry, but with what I owe on it, and the possibility of a new transmission, I'm thinking it may be better to have a new truck with a full warranty.

Btw, I use this truck in my business, so I depend on it ever day, I can't afford down time.

My last truck I keep 12 years, it was a ford 1/2 ton with a straight 6, and it worked hard pulling a trailer day in and day out. I was hoping to get aleast that many years out of my 04.

With all things considered I think it's time to get a new truck. I have already gotten pre approval at the credit union for 4.75%, so unless someone talks me out of it I guess I'll get a 08 6.7.

Thanks again, I still need some :help making my decision.
If you can go another year, do it. They may be better for 09.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts