Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I turn 16 in march, I am wondering if I should get a 98.5 cummins for my first vehicle, I am in LOVE with cummins, hell I have cummins sweat pants and a cummins sweat shirt. I have a GREAT deal on a 98.5 cummins regular cab (That's the one I want cuz I am 5'2 lol and to short to ride in a long and big truck) that 98.5 cummins has 307K on the engine and body, but 122K on the tranny, the guy wants $3700. I was thinking is that a good truck for me? I have only drove a 99 silverado 1500 (bc, I have my temps and it's my dad's dealership truck) so would it be hard for me to drive this turbo diesel? i'd be going to school and back, and how much MPG would it get me? I have attached a pic of the cummins for 3700

·
Registered
70 Posts
that looks to be a nice truck but almost too nice... almost too good to be true. Also at 3xxxxx miles the vp is tired at best...

·
World Champs!!!
24,255 Posts
Hmm...$3700 for that truck, as pictured? Not jiving.

On to the question, diesel isn't any harder to drive than a gasser. At 16 your driving experience is limited, but I don't see a problem as long as you keep your head out of your rearend.

·
Registered
241 Posts
that seems a little too cheap for that truck even with that many miles, sounds like it may have a hidden demon. as dego8 said the injection pump has to be getting tired unless its been replaced as well, however these trucks can run forever if taken care of properly, as for ease of driving it shouldnt be any harder to drive than that .5 ton chevy

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
3700!? Something is wrong here.. but yea definitely buy a cummins if a diesel truck is what you seek.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Take it dude but look that truck over REAL good and Id even take someone with me that knew about them. Deal does sound too good to be true.

Sweet looking truck man. And even though you are 16, doesnt matter. A cummins will do you good. Youll never have to worry about not having enough truck to do something. And youll be able to put all your fellow school mates with fords and chevys to shame

·
Registered
259 Posts
Wait kid.. wait. Drive a jetta. Save your bones.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Lol at your height the only problem you'll have is getting in and out of that truck. But it will give you an advantage when you help your girl get in. You can drive it just like anything else; focus on driving and not texting.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Plus it being lifted will help keep the fat chicks out

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
632 Posts
With that funky paint job....I'm guessing it's got a salvage title also.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you end up getting it, change the white mirrors lol Have someone that knows what they're looking at look it over cuz $3700 is pretty cheap.

·
Registered
109 Posts
$3700 seems a little too cheap for that truck, considering its a 98.5 im gonna assume its a 24v, very possible it might have the notorious #53 block......... keep in mind that maintaining these trucks isnt very cheap, however you came to the right place for any questions theres tons of guys on here with plenty of knowledge that will be more than willing to help you out. best of luck bud

·
Registered
825 Posts
"should I get a cummins?" should I give you a ball peen hammer to the forehead? of course you should...

·
Registered
427 Posts
I don't see why people are telling him not to buy a cummins it's a 3700 dollar truck it's not like he is looking at a truck with a big price tag and gonna be stuck with a huge payment every month for the rest of his life. For the price he can get a summer job and have the money to put into it to make it last him for a lot of years I say go for it. I agree take someone with you that knows a little more about these trucks if you can. List of things
I would look for.
Clean title
Is it the original vp
Trans slippage
Is it a 53 block with 300k miles I doubt it I'm sure it would have cracked block by now

These things are what's gonna cost the most amount of money to fix if something goes wrong I'm sure so if those all checked out I would be all over it

·
Registered
247 Posts
Go for it dude. If it breaks you'll start learning fast how to fix her, you will need that knowledge anyway sooner or later.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts