Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well my stocker is about shot.

looking to replace it

dont know what is what honestly

i know everyone talks about the 3rd gen retrofit or an adjustable one.

money reallyisnt a issue but which one should i go with and why?

and what are the advangtages over one another?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
251 Posts
There isn't any need for an adjustable track bar unless your truck is lifted. That's when they come into play. You can use a 3rd gen trackbar or look at other options such as lukes link.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what if i want to level my truck?

·
Registered
251 Posts
With just a leveling kit you will be fine with a non-adjustable track bar.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i wont get the death wobble? thats what im scared of.

·
Registered
251 Posts
No, you won't be any more likely to experience death wobble with a non-adjustable track bar. The only reason people buy adjustable trackbars is so that they don't have clearance issues by changing the angle when they lift the truck. If they buy them for any other reason it's a waste.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
is there a chance ill experience the death wobble even with the 3rd gen trac bar and steering stablizer?

sorry if the questons are dump but ive never touched this trucks steering.

·
Registered
251 Posts
You can't ever rule out the death wobble on these trucks becuase so many things can actually cause it. Sure track bar is usually the main cause but tie rod ends, ball joints, possibly wheel bearings, any number of things. If you keep an eye on your front end though you shouldn't have a problem. I check mine every other oil change and if something's bad I fix it right then. It doesn't get any cheaper by waiting. Heck, if you ever look in the 6.7 and 2010 forums even some of those guys are experiencing death wobble.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well i just got new ball joints, wheel bearings are good, tie rods are still good. just trac bar is bad.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
I have the adjustable 3rd gen bar it was If I remember only 50$ or so more, I'm very glad I opted for it as, down the road I did install Carli coils and it allowed me to center the axel,
as for death wobble, its caused by may different variables, caster adjustment and worn parts contribute to it. if your track bar is bad, depending on your budget and trucks use, you have a few choices avaliable

lukes link
Linstad
3rd gen bar and bracket
Carli
Thuren
and I'm sure others I've missed

Here is a link. save it to your favorites, has tons of info and info on steering issues, there is a link to linstad in there its basically a weld on kit that allows you to tighten your stock bar should it need it, almost like a lukes link

Ram Steering Problems

·
Registered
930 Posts
Go to Source and get either their 3rd gen bar or their 3rd gen adjustable bar. If you do this you will also have to get the relocation kit. Very good pieces and what I will be getting here in a while. They are made by Solid Steel Industries.

·
Registered
549 Posts
i have the Solid Steel Industries adjustable track bar with the kit to make it fit on the 2nd gens. So far its been awsome and since its adjustable i could center my axle since i have a lvl kit in it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts