Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying a 2013 2500 laramie longhorn with only 36K miles. Below is the link to the blow by test,and a pic of the truck. It's a megacab, w/rambox, 6in lift with brand new wheels and tires. Retail is about 62-65k, but I'm buying for $56k. Seems to me like a GREAT
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Land vehicle
deal. I'm just apprehensive because it is 9 years old, and I've never owned a diesel before. Thoughts?

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
17 3500 Laramie CCLB
7,299 Posts
Maybe if it's stock. I don't think I would do it though.

Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
17 3500 Laramie CCLB
7,299 Posts
It is stock, minus the lift. Why would you pass?
Any add ons like different tire, wheels, lifts, etc. DO NOT add to the market value of the truck. What does NADA and the such say it's worth ? And used cars and trucks are way over priced at this time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any add ons like different tire, wheels, lifts, etc. DO NOT add to the market value of the truck. What does NADA and the such say it's worth ? And used cars and trucks are way over priced at this time.
KBB says it's worth $65K...i'd be buying it for $56K.
I agree everything is overpriced, which I'm seing the benefit of on my trade as well.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Looks like a nice truck, by the vid it appears to have the EGR crossover tube so I mite be all intact

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
If that is what you like then by all means buy it as it looks like a nice truck but to me i'm not a fan of the 6" lift and that would be a turnoff.I don't like the ramboxes but hey,i'm not the one buying it.Nice looking truck tho. 👍

·
Super Moderator
I know nothing.🙄
2,506 Posts
Looks like one of those early 2013s that had those foam engine covers. Were quickly removed due to fires, and that’s why the oil fill is so tall.

2013 is a first year for powernet electrical system and DEF. 2013 and 2014 used weird garbage dual radiators. IIRC 2013 also used the old 3rd gen style front end suspension, which is also garbage.

On top of all that, you’ll lose your money real quick on that truck. It is too old for $50k+. You’ll prob get only $30k if you try to sell it in a few years.

I'd pass and look for something 2015 or newer.🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like one of those early 2013s that had those foam engine covers. Were quickly removed due to fires, and that’s why the oil fill is so tall.

2013 is a first year for powernet electrical system and DEF. 2013 and 2014 used weird garbage dual radiators. IIRC 2013 also used the old 3rd gen style front end suspension, which is also garbage.

On top of all that, you’ll lose your money real quick on that truck. It is too old for $50k+. You’ll prob get only $30k if you try to sell it in a few years.

I'd pass and look for something 2015 or newer.🤷🏻‍♂️
What makes you think it will suddenly depreciate by 50%? KBB and NADA seem to still place a considerable value on it.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
What makes you think it will suddenly depreciate by 50%? KBB and NADA seem to still place a considerable value on it.
Because all used vehicles are in a bubble right now.

What was the KBB in 2019 and 2020? That's the real depreciation curve. That's the curve you should be paying attention to and projecting future value from.

The curve you're seeing now is an illusion propped up by a chip shortage that will end by the end of the year.

·
Super Moderator
I know nothing.🙄
2,506 Posts
Because just a few years ago I sold a longhorn 2012 loaded dually for $31k 100k miles.

The values you are seeing on used is a bubble. It will pop.

So factoring in usage, yes it’ll drop like 50%.

Edit: dammit @David_411 you beat me to it.

Reactions: Lins

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
The curve you're seeing now is an illusion propped up by a chip shortage that will end by the end of the year.
I don't see the chip shortage ending until biden gets out of office .

·
Super Moderator
I know nothing.🙄
2,506 Posts
I don't see inflation ending until biden gets out of office .
FTFY

Chip shortage will end in the next year or two. Inflation on the other hand…

·
Registered
22,993 Posts
Not that I've kept track of used values, but yesterday I priced out a '22 5500 to my liking and it came to $65K and change. That's MSRP, and I'd likely get at least $8K off of that.

Apples to oranges as the 5500 would be an STL long wheelbase regular cab, and I left out many tech things that people may want/like. Still, that's a new and far more capable vehicle, with aluminum wheels, dual tanks, etc.

I'd say that unless you need a vehicle now, order one and save a bunch.

Reactions: 7492

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Used Rams seem to be all over the place as far as prices go.Daughter said a dealer took a quick look at her 2016 3500 Laramie Longhorn Megacab and offered her $55K trade in but she says she wants $65K for it so we will see.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Because all used vehicles are in a bubble right now.

What was the KBB in 2019 and 2020? That's the real depreciation curve. That's the curve you should be paying attention to and projecting future value from.

Now we're kind of getting off topic, but this "bubble" will only burst if auto manufacturers decide to lower the prices on their vehicles again, which they likely won't, and inflation will need to go away...which it won't

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Now we're kind of getting off topic, but this "bubble" will only burst if auto manufacturers decide to lower the prices on their vehicles again, which they likely won't, and inflation will need to go away...which it won't
Not even in the rampant inflation of the 70s and 80s did used vehicles go up or hold value.

A vehicle is one of the worst assets you will ever own financially speaking. They all depreciate.
We've seen this curve take a break over the last year and a half.
Expecting the last 1.5 years to become standard is wishful thinking IMO.

You're talking about reversing a 70 year old trend when it comes to used auto sales.

I'm not sure I would make that bet.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Not that I've kept track of used values, but yesterday I priced out a '22 5500 to my liking and it came to $65K and change. That's MSRP, and I'd likely get at least $8K off of that.

Apples to oranges as the 5500 would be an STL long wheelbase regular cab, and I left out many tech things that people may want/like. Still, that's a new and far more capable vehicle, with aluminum wheels, dual tanks, etc.

I'd say that unless you need a vehicle now, order one and save a bunch.
Where are you that you are getting $8k OFF MSRP?? Every dealer around here has AT LEAST a $2k markup OVER MSRP titled “market adjustment” on the window sticker. And if you order it, hope you got an extra vehicle in the meantime, as in 3-6 months.

My opinion, years ago, trades were lower and so were new prices. Now new prices are sky high and so are used values. It all comes out in the wash, but financing more always sucks in the long run.

·
Super Moderator
I know nothing.🙄
2,506 Posts
You said you never owned a diesel…

Prices on new diesel trucks have been on the rise for years… Used diesel trucks have always been around the same prices and only have risen moderately with inflation. Right now, we are seeing some 3-4 year old used trucks priced near or higher than brand new ones. This is a bubble.

In any case, we are just giving our $.02. If you don’t want to listen, ignore us and go blow your cash on an old truck. It’s your money🤷🏻‍♂️.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts