Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
right now i have the airdog 150 and im only running the filter and water sep that are on the pump. should i have it filtered even more than that? thanks

·
PA VICE PRESIDENT
4,648 Posts
Depends what micron filter you are running on it. Im only running a filter and water separator on my fass

·
Premium Member
2,843 Posts
There is some debate on what is filtered enough. Personally, my comfort level is highest at 5 micron. Just note that differing efficiencies cause not all filters to be equal.

Probably not necessary to filter to that level but I'm paranoid after having common rails and their finicky injectors.

·
Premium Member
4,755 Posts
On marine applications where lives are at stake, 3 micron ABSOLUTE is the industry standard. The problem that I see with the filtering put out by the aftermarket fuel pump companies can in no way handle the flows & pressures advertised. It is completely impossible to flow 150 GPH at 18 PSI with any decent filtering with the units they sell.

Ed

·
Canadian Diesel Junkie
1,274 Posts
I often wondered about that, right now my idle pressure is 15, and it drops to no more than 14 at WOT. If I install say a 3 micron, I wonder if I will drop more at WOT due to a more restrictive filter.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I would leave the amount of filters you have where they are. You can create problems with too many filters. Get some good quality 5mic or less absolute filters to install on the airdog and be done.

On my truck I have a raptor 150 with a drawstraw in tank and all 1/2" lines and -8 fittings no banjos. The way my fuel flows is this:
Drawstraw from tank
To a pre screen in line filter (wire mesh just catches big debris, not a filter but a pre screen.
Then to raptor
Then to a FS 1001 which is a 10mic water/fuel filter
Then to my FF 5320 which is. 2mic (5mic absolute) filter
Then to factory filter can with a 3rd gen filter in it that filters to 7mic as a just in case, water in fuel, fuel heater
Then to the vp 44
I see 19.5 psi idle
18-19 psi cruising
And no less than 17psi ever at WOT

Reactions: adrnlnjnky700

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, sounds good, thanks for the input

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
No problem. I've thought about removing the filter element out of my stock fuel can, but when I remove it its not white its slightly black so I'll keep it in. BTW its not 2 stroke I dont use it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts